Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ethanol / Alcohol in fuel - damage to engine

Thanks for all the tips:

Sor far:
(1) Get the fuel hoses insulated with teflon and replace some seals to they won’t leak that easily.
(2) Use the fuel pump in the climb (I have 2 of those installed) and be aware of possible vapor lock
(3) Filter the fuel with a funnel filter (thanks for the link).

Then, if I fly 15 hours on filtered autogas of e.g. 88 or 92 octane (instead of the 98 I now fly in it or the AVGAS), would the ethanol still eat the rubbers that fast?
And should I add octane boosters or as suggested above not do that at all.
That is, of course, that I take the advise and understand that no guarantees are given.

EDLE, Netherlands

Aeroplus, this sounds like a fantastic trip! In fact, it’s one I’ve promised myself to do one day.

However, having flown in Africa, especially South/East, one thing comes to mind – the performance of the airplane you propose to use for this. I’m sure you’ve checked it out, but do run your performance figures for places like Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania and Kenya. Many airports there are at 5000+ ft and on a warm day you can look at jaw-dropping DA values. This regularly catches European pilots out. Also, with a Piper you prob90 won’t be able to get into (or more precisely – out of) many of the lodge strips. And that is something you really wouldn’t want to miss!

For Avgas, you already know where the problems lie. In general, be prepared to pay cash for most things and have plenty of small denomination USD notes of recent issue. The latter is really important, as the US have changed the color of the 20 USD bill a few years back. Older ones – while perfectly legal tender – won’t be accepted. And don’t even dream of getting change for a $100 bill ;-)

Given your proposed routing, there is also one figure to bear in mind – the vertical range of an AK47 is approx 5-6k ft. Always – and I mean ALWAYS – have at least that between you and the ground.

Flying in Africa is perhaps the best flying you’ll ever do. Just be careful out there.

12 Posts
Sign in to add your message