Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying into French Language Only (FR-only) airfields (and French ATC ELP)

@gallois

u. I have never hinted that anyone is lying.I just felt that I would be better armed with facts rather than anecdotes when debating the point with people from the dgac or others. 

no you have not and I see I should have made myself more clear on this, my apology to you. This debate has been going on for years and as well I as well as the people I mentioned have been directly and frontally accused of lying, me personally and repeatedly in this forum. That is why I put my point clear, not really addressing you but some others who will undoubtedly read this.

The problem indeed is that these what you call annectoes and which I have the highest confidence that they have happened the way they were related to me and others have now indeed become so well known by many people that if there is a change in policy in the way that air police and airfield personell are dealing with this, the incertainty still exists, even though there have been no reports anymore.

Yes I agree the customs thing has nothing to do with it, but it has become one more reason why many Swiss pilots have stopped going to France, even though it is in most cases not worse than e.g. in Germany or elsewhere, PPR is everywhere these days. But the combination of all things simply suggest that there is an anti foreigner attitude which is not exactly inviting.

Personally, I love going to France and staying there, but I for now spend my very sparse flying time in less hassle bound places.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

there is an anti foreigner attitude which is not exactly inviting

I have never noticed that. Quite the reverse, actually. But maybe that’s just inevitable reaction to natural Yorkshire charm – and modesty.

And although our forebears burned Joan of Arc and hanged a monkey in Hartlepool on suspicion of being a Frenchman, I can’t readily recall feeling similarly inclined. Well, perhaps just once – in Paris of course – where a waiter in a “gastronomic” restaurant brought us a bottle of Savagnin out of the fridge and tried to pass stringy horse flesh off as roe venison. :(

@gallois, I guess the ULM licence French language r/t endorsement is equivalent to “level 6”, in that it is valid for life. I don’t recall how I got it – I guess just speaking French on the wireless while clattering around in a flying machine which was such scandalous fun as to be prohibited in England…

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

FWIW, LBA (German CAA) also added French LP to my license when I had to move it there after I got my IR

Last Edited by dkbe at 22 Nov 20:01
EDFM, Germany

This may have been answered before but I can’t find it.

To fly to an “FR-only” airport, can you comply by carrying a French speaking person in the RHS who has no flying qualifications?

The French speaker would not have a license to operate an aircraft radio.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

To fly to an “FR-only” airport, can you comply by carrying a French speaking person in the RHS who has no flying qualifications?

The French speaker would not have a license to operate an aircraft radio.

I would say that whoever does the R/T must have a R/T license.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Or PIC must be a FI (possibly recognized by the local CAA), right?

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/pub/media/reglementation/file/r/a/radiotel_v3.pdf
It’s the official French regulation. Not very helpful I’m afraid
2. 4Langues utilisables
2.1. Langues de base
Les langues utilisables sont publiées par la voie de l’information aéronautique.
Dans les espaces aériens exploités par l’administration française, les langues utilisées sont : La langue française ; La langue anglaise, sauf indication contraire publiée par la voie de l’informationaéronautique.
2.2.Autre langue
Dans des situations où la sécurité peut être compromise, une langue autre que le français et l’anglais peut être utilisée si cette langue permet des communications plus sûres et plus efficaces entre un contrôleur et un pilote.
2.3. Utilisation d’un interprète
Si le contrôleur et le pilote ne peuvent pas utiliser une même langue, l’exploitant d’aéronefpeut être autorisé à faire appel aux services d’un interprète. Celui-ci doit être qualifié pourutiliser la radiotéléphonie et doit connaître les expressions conventionnelles et usuelles.
2.4. 2Usage de la langue française
La langue française est, sauf cas particulier (entraînement par exemple) utilisée entre pilotefrançais et contrôleur français.

Paris, France

Piotr_Szut wrote:

Si le contrôleur et le pilote ne peuvent pas utiliser une même langue, l’exploitant d’aéronefpeut être autorisé à faire appel aux services d’un interprète. Celui-ci doit être qualifié pourutiliser la radiotéléphonie et doit connaître les expressions conventionnelles et usuelles

This means that the ‘interpret’ must have at least a R/T license.

Piotr_Szut wrote:

La langue française est, sauf cas particulier (entraînement par exemple) utilisée entre pilotefrançais et contrôleur français.

Interesting point here, which I was not really aware of. That means that, being French myself, I have to use French with a French ATC, unless I specify that it is for training. And that also means that someone who can speak French but is not French can decide to use French or English without any specific reason :-)

ENVA, Norway

As a French Microlight instructor, I think I may deliver a French RT license to anyone willing so, with minimum hassle. May be finding a French Microlight instructor to give you that piece of paper is the easiest way? If someone interested I can look into the regs to check whether it’s actually possible.

Last Edited by Piotr_Szut at 08 May 15:08
Paris, France

That means that, being French myself, I have to use French with a French ATC, unless I specify that it is for training

Yes, that one has come up in many past threads. It was described by French pilots as an old French law which is no longer active / is not enforced. Obviously very controversial, especially in the airline sphere / loss of situational awareness at large airports. It has been described to me as a measure to protect “French national identity” i.e. to slow down the ingress of [American] English into French culture. One thread is here.

One thing I immediately notice is the lack of definition of “French pilot”. French passport holder? French tax resident? Is that defined elsewhere?

And that also means that someone who can speak French but is not French can decide to use French or English without any specific reason :-)

That is implicit anyway; if you are flying to an airport in Germany you can speak German, etc… This appears to be the only exception, or one of very few, in Europe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message