Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The easiest way to get georeferenced airport charts for Europe?

I know Garmin do the “Safetaxi” product but it runs only on their “glass”. Also does it cover all of Europe?

The only other way I know is the ancient Memory Map and the airport charts in QCT format, but they were last done c. 2009. That works very well.

I suppose FliteDeck (or even FliteMap) should be able to run a Jepp airport chart as a moving map.

JeppFD-VFR also – is it accurate enough for taxiing? But that’s Ipad only.

Some airports are absolutely horrible to find one’s way around, with truly crappy signage where you exit one taxiway and the junction doesn’t have the intersecting taxiways labelled within a visible distance.

Last Edited by Peter at 13 Mar 16:59
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter,

You got a free EasyVFR by PocketFMS licence last year (as did everyone who attended the EuroGA flyin). There should be still a few months left on it. That has georeferenced approach places and taxi charts for most of Europe included. You can run it on your iPad or your Windows tablet (and Android if you have one, but not your symbian phone!).

Colm

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 13 Mar 17:06
EIWT Weston, Ireland

MFDVFR should be fine for the countries it covers. Garmin Safe Taxi does not cover minor airfields.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I find the taxi plates on JeppFD hard to use. You are zooming a picture. Garmin Safecharts are good for IFR airports and very clear.

EGTK Oxford

There used to be a link on the Memory Map website where you could download the UK airport charts. Does anybody know where this is – if it is still there? They were georeferenced UK AIP charts. Here is a piece of the 2008 one for EGNS for example

Compare that with the Jepp one

IMHO the upper one is much clearer, although if your GPS shows where you are actually on it, the difference won’t be as important.

Does Jepp Safetaxi display the lower one, or some other representation?

Garmin Safe Taxi does not cover minor airfields.

How minor? The minor ones don’t have taxiways

Last Edited by Peter at 14 Mar 08:08
Administrator

The other thing that is really needed is a heading (compass) input to the moving map.

Just showing where you are on the map, and showing the direction the aircraft is pointing in only when one is taxiing at some speed (i.e. from the GPS track, which vanishes when you slow down or stop) is only half the job and could be very misleading.

I wonder if any of the Ipad solutions give you this. The Ipad contains a compass (of sorts) but the Jepp airport charts are raster not vector charts so can’t be rotated and maintain the labels readable. One could do a north-up display, however, with the aircraft pointing correctly during all taxi phases.

Last Edited by Peter at 14 Mar 10:31
Administrator

Skydemon provides this feature using AIP aerodrome charts (free) or Pooley’s ones (with subscription). The same feature will also work with geo-referenced approach plates from the national AIPs. I don’t think the UK ones are at present, but I believe those for several European countries are.

EGBP, United Kingdom

FlyIsFun switches betweed GPS Track and magnetic heading display depending on your speed I don’t know if airport taxi diagrams are implementet, but if you ask Petr he won’t hesitate to do so in time, I guess. Program costs 16 Euros on Android. www.flyisfun.com

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message