Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

1 millionth scale charts

This chart is published by Editerra for planning purposes only… Transair make no warranty, express or implied, as to accuracy of the information and expressly disclaims liability for the accuracy thereof…Great care has been taken in the creation of this chart, the editor however can not accept responsibility for any omissions or errors that it may contain.

In one sense… fair enough. Nothing that complex will ever be 100% accurate, but the NATS charts seem to manage without any such disclaimers and have a fairly clear route to notify you of any changes/errors as they become aware of them. Though if truth be told, in practice one risks becoming somewhat overwhelmed by the mass of Emails if you subscribe to the chart update notifications.

So is this map good for anything? It says it’s for planning only, which presumably excludes using it for flying. What I had bought it for was to save buying the Northern UK and Scotland maps every year, which I use only infrequently. Does anybody know whether it would be likely to be sufficient to meet any legal flight-planning requirements?

[quote fixed up – see Posting Tips]

Last Edited by Peter at 10 Apr 06:25

Does it show enough detail to be valid for planning and flight?

You can plan on anything as far as I am aware.

EGTK Oxford

I saw on their Homepage that Editerra will offer a 1:1000000 chart for Austria, Switzerland, Northern Italy and Slovenia from late April.

Just in time for the EuroGA fly-in

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

They are great for planning. For flying I happily use them as backup in case the 430, 795 and iPad all fail

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I believe this is the old Cartabossy (French) mapmaker, who also publish the new UK 1:1M chart marketed by Transair. That one was “controversial” not because it is inaccurate but because it doesn’t depict enough detail for map+stopwatch navigation, but then who is still doing that these days, on significant trips? 1:1M charts are always too bare for detail; same with the French SIA chart which I always flew with when VFR.

Nobody answered my question but it seems to me that the LI-1 and possibly LI-2 of the new Italian national printed charts would have the latest data. They are about £12 each. There are Italians here but maybe they haven’t bought them yet.

Any paper charts I buy I scan in and calibrate for Oziexplorer and run them as a GPS moving map. That was the only way I was going to fly down to Crete in 2004. It isn’t really practical to fly with a paper chart because if the difficult of establishing one’s position accurately when in a hurry.

Last Edited by Peter at 10 Apr 06:33
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I bought the 1:1000000 chart once but I didn’t really get on with it – I think the lack of unlicensed aerodromes meant I wasn’t using it fully as we do fly to a number of them. I think it was the first edition and there were some errors, and at the time I got SD for iPad and a yoke mount and decided to use that for scaling in and out to different magnitudes.

Though if truth be told, in practice one risks becoming somewhat overwhelmed by the mass of Emails if you subscribe to the chart update notifications

I do subscribe to the NATS update emails, and you know when there have been some changes because you wake up in the morning to 10 emails, and others trickle in during the day. So I use charts for planning and SD to hopefully display a completely updated and correct chart.

You can plan on anything as far as I am aware.

I guess in practical terms the question is, ‘if I fly through some unmarked class – D or over a nuclear power station, can I use the fact that it wasn’t marked on the map in my defence?’

My first thought was that I didn’t like the map, but haven’t yet worked out whether it’s because it’s not what I’m used to, or because there’s something fundamentally wrong with the format. I find it quite busy, and can imagine that it would work better somewhere with less dense airspace. On the other hand, it is compact and I like the idea of being able to use a common, familiar format elsewhere in Europe.

I only carry 1,000,000 scale charts as I have a 530 and an iPad with Sky Demon. I don’t see the point in carrying the massive UK CAA charts; they are the most cockpit un-friendly charts I have ever used.

-Jason

Great Oakley, U.K. & KTKI, USA
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message