Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is "base leg" the same as "cleared for the ILS"?

cleared to descend with the Glideslope

Thats clear. Then in my experience that is what I hear subsequently to be asked to report localiser established. Stilll no “cleared for the ILS”.

If you have to confirm localizer established AFTER you are cleared for the approach, you can follow the glideslope down. If you did only hear that you can intercept the localizer, then when you say you are established and they tell you to contact the tower, you can assume you are cleared for the approach. However, I never get it like that. I would ask if specifically I am cleared for the ILS or if I am supposed to report localizer established I will say “fully established” or “established on the ILS”.

EDLE, Netherlands

…you can assume …

Assuming is about the most dangerous thing one can do in aviation. Therefore, unless the words “Cleared for the ILS” or “follow the glideslope” after having been clered to follow the localiser have not been spoken loud and clear by a controller (and recorded on his tape and on my cockpit voice recorder) I will not descend a single foot.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Well, if you are transferred to tower, than most likely the tower controller will clear you to land or continue with the approach. In the end you need to hear one of them say what you need. As said, I get cleared for the approach and not for the localizer intercept, but that is maybe because I do not fly that much in the UK.

EDLE, Netherlands

As said, I get cleared for the approach and not for the localizer intercept…

Not in the UK, as there are usually two separate clearances. The first one for localiser intercept and the second one to follow the glideslope. This has been an ongoing topic in our simulator recurrent trainings that we do in the UK. Our instructors (mostly ex RAF and/or BA) always point out to us the UK two-stage ILS clearance and how silly it is, warning us at the same time that UK controllers are famous for reporting even the smallest level bust.

EDDS - Stuttgart

@PiperArcher – all over, my home base doesn’t have an instrument approach. The terminology seems to be fairly standard.

EGLM & EGTN

I don’t fly enough ILSs in the UK but for the last few years (that I remember) I was always “cleared for the XX approach”.

One tends to get the “report localiser established” or “report final approach fix” on an RNAV approach, etc, on top of that.

But the “cleared for the XX approach” is a full standalone clearance, adequate all by itself, and entitling you to go all the way down to the runway but not touch it (for that you need “cleared to land”).

So if, after being cleared for the approach but asked to report at X miles etc, you have a bunch of people reading out War and Peace (which is normal in the UK on any nice weekend day) you can go all the way down to the runway (but not touch it).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I often fly into an airfield in the UK that maintains the “Once established descend with the glide” phraseology. I had a chat with them about this one evening on the ground whilst discussing another issue, and their manuals only permit “cleared for the ILS” whenever you are already at platform altitude or lower. The reason it is rarely heard at this airfield is because the Minimum Radar Vector Altitude only allows them to descend you to platform altitude whenever you are very very close to the FAP. I would think that pilots should have enough wit about them that if they were going into this airport and were cleared for the approach 25nm out, they wouldn’t descend to platform straight away cos they are going to put themselves closer to terrain than I am sure they would like, but then I suppose you have the problem of how you expect someone to descend.

If you consider an airfield with movements in and out every few minutes, with a platform altitude of 2500’ and an MSA of 3500’, how would you want them to descend if cleared for the ILS at say 5000’?

United Kingdom

their manuals only permit “cleared for the ILS” whenever you are already at platform altitude or lower.

That is actually very plausible. I think that is how the UK works this i.e. the “clear for…” phrase is used only after they somehow got you down to the platform altitude.

I suspect most airports around the world do the same, because if say the platform is 2000ft, the MSA is 4000ft, and you are 20nm away, what should you do?

If you are being vectored then ATC is responsible for your obstacle clearance (except in some places, like Spain ) so the situation should be resolved by itself.

If you are not being vectored then it is still in ATC’s general interest to not kill you (crash = a lot of paperwork). But they cannot see you “officially” unless they have official radar and the ATCO is an official ICAO radar qualified ATCO. So various procedures have to be used to solve this.

In the above example, non-vectored, the simplest always-correct way is to fly to the holding fix (the one above the airport) and descend in the hold from 4000ft to 2000ft and then fly the approach. Or some similar procedure at/near an IAF. For anything else you need terrain awareness, which in “classical IFR” the pilot does not have, and arguably should not need, ever, if classical IFR procedures are followed.

Last Edited by Peter at 14 Apr 15:37
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you consider an airfield with movements in and out every few minutes, with a platform altitude of 2500’ and an MSA of 3500’, how would you want them to descend if cleared for the ILS at say 5000’?

Exactly the same way it is done everywhere else on this planet.

EDDS - Stuttgart
Sign in to add your message