Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying longer trips with a female without a comfort stop / in-flight toilet options

In diving (especially technical) when waering dry suit and having decompression obligation of few hours or being few hours away from exit of the cave, we use urinal condoms connected to pee-valve (unidirectional valve attached to suit that leads urine out). Maybe something like that could be installed in aircraft

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Travel John workes well no liquit much better to handel

EDAZ

In diving (especially technical) when waering dry suit and having decompression obligation of few hours or being few hours away from exit of the cave, we use urinal condoms connected to pee-valve (unidirectional valve attached to suit that leads urine out). Maybe something like that could be installed in aircraft

They’re called conveens. They were forever leaking when we used them in nursing homes so I’ve never been a fan of them. But why modify the aircraft when you can use a leg bag?

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

When undertaking a flight around the world, I can understand you want to get prepared to any bad event, and look for “in-flight emergency solutions”.
But puncturing a bladder is not “that easy”, and the risks to end with a bad hemorrhage should not be under estimated.

I forgot to add that the friend/pilot that mentioned this is a surgeon .

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Any reason why he thought it was smart to carry equipment for puncturing the bladder? Did he have a previous condition? It would not have been on my list of essential in flight equipment so I’m wondering…

I thought that too. An advanced form of prostate enlargement can block the uretha and then you have a big emergency. It is AFAIK done with a laser and there are significant side effects for a long time afterwards.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That’s true, but generally it’s a painful emergency rather than a big one. It’s rare that you can’t pass a normal urethral catheter (i.e. through the penis) and release the build-up of urine that way before planning the operation at leisure. Usually people have a fair amount of warning that there’s a problem looming – off the top of my head, it usually seems to take people 6-8 hours from the point that they realise they can’t pee, to the point at which they make their way to A&E. By that time they’re pretty uncomfortable but probably not so much that landing on a plane would be more dangerous than having a suprapubic catheter sited under optimal conditions.

Occasionally – e.g. after operations – the urethra gets too mashed up to pass a normal catheter. For these people, a suprapubic catheter can be the only option. I can buy taking one to Antarctica or on a solo crossing of the Pacific on a sailing boat, and I guess inserting a small needle might be a bit safer than inserting a catheter. But frankly I think you’d be mad to try to attempt either on yourself in-flight.

Apparently, the pain can be utterly debilitating and my friend considered that would be a viable option vs self-administering a catheter.

BTW, there are many other causes, other than prostate related.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

kwlf wrote:

They’re called conveens. They were forever leaking when we used them in nursing homes so I’ve never been a fan of them. But why modify the aircraft when you can use a leg bag?

You’re right I always think about overboard discharging. BTW Rochester Wideband conveens don’t leak.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

I always think about overboard discharging

You wanna be careful with that :)

A pilot I once met told me how he dealt with this problem. He flew a SF23 from Europe to Australia and had to come up with some sort of make do solution, a good 30 years ago.

What he came up with were small plastic bags sold for the purpose at the time. The idea is that after use you tied them closed and discard them after landing. Only he had the idea of getting rid of it in flight through the storm window.

What he said is that IF you do that (and I believe this happened somewhere over the desert, so collateral damage risk would have been very remote) you’d have to make sure that you pass the bag outside with the tied end FIRST. Apparently what happens if you put it out bottom end first is that the air pressure from outside will turn the tied end into a formidable sprayer through which the contents of the bag will be discharged in a misty form straight into the cockpit…

One piece of advice I never forgot and one reason I did buy a Litlle John the day I signed papers for my current airplane :)

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message