Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ground speed record

This was on Oct 20th from LOAN to LOWI. We were in the climb with about 110 knots TAS in FL70.

At least there was no highway directly below us, so we were saved from the embarassement of cars overtaking us

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Hear, hear. Still less pleasant was descending to EBCI in a heavily iced C172H with minimum fuel, against a gusty wind, and seeing GS occasionally drop to 16-19 knots.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

My personal record was GPS groundspeed 11 knots in the opposite direction, in the C 150. But, it has a STOL kit, I was really trying, and it was a horrendous wind at altitude…..

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

It isnt often that something like this happens. I flew from EDMA to LHTL VFR mostly at FL075 almost DCT with the highest GS of 230 Kts. I had a direct tailwind of on occasion at 70 kts.

I dont know why I didnt take a picture of it.

KHTO, LHTL

Was that wind for free, or did you get an invoice from the German Met office? You save so much fuel, you can go to TIVAT now!

;-)

Beat mine then

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It was interesting that was only at FL075 I wonder how much faster it would have been at FL120 or FL140?

KHTO, LHTL

lyer59 20-Nov-15 09:45 #02
Was that wind for free, or did you get an invoice from the German Met office? You save so much fuel, you can go to TIVAT now!

;-

Actually It would have been better, if I had not had to break in my #5 cycl, which required I run at 75% power. That is why I flew a VFR flight plan at FL075. Otherwise I would have climbed to FL140 and leaned out to 38L/hr or 10gal/hr .

KHTO, LHTL

Slightly at a tangent but we had a headwind (unfortunately yes a headwind) of 170kts heading west across the UK at FL320 last night. Highest I have seen in a long time.

United Kingdom

Wow so how fast a ground speed did you have?

KHTO, LHTL
44 Posts
Sign in to add your message