Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Logistics of flying in Europe

That’s brilliant!

The FPL is just a piece of text.

You will also need to have a facility for faxing emailing/AFTN-ing the PPR application We did a product at work which sends faxes over GSM

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Concerning AFIL flight plan filing this summer I tried to set up a system using RR but it did not quite work out because the API provided. Besides that doing it over Iridium would be possible as the data required to file a flight plan is so little. In my planning I was thinking about the following features:

- Download a list of the upcoming three flight plans
- Delay a flight plan
- Cancel a flight plan
- Generate a route
- File a new flight plan

Concerning the route generation and filing I was not sure if it should always be a two step process or if you define constraints and if the generated flight plan matches those it gets filed right away. Finally you must have a solution to generate some kind of flight log. Either a panel mounted GPS with airway entry or some other iPad app.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

You could integrate autorouter as backend into your existing iPad app and do the communication the same way as used for the weather

Frequent travels around Europe

boscomantico 29-Jan-15 22:18 #63
On a lighter note I did ask for a contact approach last year in Hungary. After some back and forth was told to stay

“Gosh, this is not the US of A and their regs do not apply everywhere in the world!”

I thought there were international treaties that coordinated all these rules to give us some stability of governance regarding the use of aviation in transportation.

What are they doing in Brussels with our taxpayer or user fee money? Are they having parties, drinking cocktails, and endless hookers?

In the US you have to join a political party, suck it up, donate $3/4 million in campaign contributions, and then you get appointed to be Ambassador to Hungary. Its all a very straight forward and transparent form of government.

This is for the NSA Just in case Although its all true.

KHTO, LHTL

There is a huge amount in the USA which is different from Europe.

Much as there is a huge amount of differences in practices within Europe.

The USA has filed some differences to ICAO but on a lot of stuff they haven’t. I went to an FAA lawyer’s presentation a while ago and this was freely admitted, and there is no political will to start notifying the differences. Anyway, a contact approach is not ICAO; it is an additional concession – like the implied transit of Class D (and C?) on a two-way radio contact (defined as an ATC readback of your tail number).

Are they having parties, drinking cocktails, and endless hookers?

Visit Cologne on a warm summer evening and tell me why you think EASA are based there, just over the river from the “action”

Administrator

As they used to do at Cranfield

one more UK oddity, no doubt. My experience is only the length of a fingernail compared to yours, of course, but I never had an R/T operator mention a waypoint or other reference that was not on the chart. Rather the other way, I have surprised some FIS operators by referencing my position to a military entry point – “WEST” into EBBL is rather convenient for my home field EBZH – and Calais TWR seemed agreeably surprised that I mentioned their waypoints Sierra, Sierra Alpha &c

ATC are under no obligation

I never managed to push ATC to the limits of their obligations – I have never found them other than able and correct and polite. Then of course I am not in a category of demanding pilots.

only slightly tongue in cheek

Cheese us, this place is really hard. Not only must one fly a 200.000+ € plane full of the latest electronics to be really part of the incrowd, on top of that one must be able to read between the lines even in a foreign language. I think I’ll give up trying – doubtlessly a few patrons will sigh with relief.

Last Edited by at 31 Jan 15:24
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Take this VFR approach chart

If you are VFR traffic, the tower controller is entitled to ask you to report at any of the circled VRPs.

IMHO, I don’t think he is required to accept an alternative proposal from you. This is controlled airspace and ATC are the final arbiter.

Obviously, most of the time, ATC do try to help and will assist with an alternative routing etc but I don’t think they are required to accept it.

There is a bit of a special case in the UK where there is a requirement to allow a CAS transit (subject to traffic of course) and the unit is required to keep stats on how many they refused and why, but IMHO that still doesn’t mean they are required to allow a CAS transit on your route.

I want to be really clear about this bit. For every person who posts saying such and such is not possible, another one will post that they have just done it. In November I flew the yellow line here and here and got cleared straight through the CAS. But there was no entitlement. ATC could have just said No. There are different levels of probability of getting a No, according to what and where…

IMHO, if you are arriving VFR, you should study the VAC (VFR approach chart) like the one above and be prepared to arrive at one of the VRPs.

Administrator

Yes, this is controlled airspace so it is the controller who decides. Besides, even in uncontrolled area I will be glad to accept their “recommendation” especially if I am unfamiliar around. Who mentioned alternative proposals? Why should I want to propose any? I gladly agree that any pilot can and may request a particular routing for transit but the controller is in control. Language can be surprisingly helpful if you take it serious.

But I really don’t see the point of your example. The six reporting points are shown on the maps of IGN and Editerra (Bossy) and are referenced in the IAP, with coordinates AND a textual description of what they look like. Any pilot that comes blundering into that bit of airspace without knowing of them quite deserves the tower’s wrath. Making sure you can find them on your paper map and/or gps is the very least thing a pilot could do in preparation.

Last Edited by at 31 Jan 16:37
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Peter,

of course, in CAS the controller has the last say.

Butas I said in the other thread, it is also true that in the absence of any conflicting traffic, they have no reason, and thus no right to restrict your flying. They don’t own the airspace; they are there only for flight safety.

A fine line I know.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

There may be some truth in that, Bosco. But how can an outsider know the controller’s reason for refusal? I feel that, by questioning their decisions or their rights, we can only annoy them, which is totally contrary to our interests.

Last Edited by at 31 Jan 16:51
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
Sign in to add your message