Welcome to our forums

Messing around just below the base of CAS

… and just above the clouds.
Nothing too exciting

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Looks like great fun :)

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Happened to me on a trip from Cologne to Prague, too. Cloud tops were at FL097 for about an hour, with class C starting at FL100. By the way, the ATC didn’t particularly like it and wanted me to fly at FL095 or below for proper separation. I wonder if this interpretation varies from country to country.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Hi Peter, may I ask what you did up there….. looks like flying around clouds ;-) but what was the intention?

may I ask what you did up there….. looks like flying around clouds ;-) but what was the intention?

Just messing about above the clouds

My son did this a few years ago

though I now think that soundtrack is a bit… corny

Administrator

If CAS starts at FL100 than the FL100 altitude belongs to the airspace below. In the UK I noticed that ATC does not like you to fly on the AP at FL100, but this is the way it is.

EDLE, Netherlands

Happened to me on a trip from Cologne to Prague, too. Cloud tops were at FL097 for about an hour, with class C starting at FL100. By the way, the ATC didn’t particularly like it and wanted me to fly at FL095 or below for proper separation.

You should have requested to fly higher. The only downside is you need oxygen around Frankfurt as you need FL140 min to pass through that area.

If CAS starts at FL100 than the FL100 altitude belongs to the airspace below.

I beg to differ. It says airspace C starts at FL100, at means that FL100 is already controlled airspace..

Last Edited by mdoerr at 13 Apr 06:29
United Kingdom

ICAO says that the boundary is classified as the less restrictive of the two airspaces.

The UK ignores this.

But, yes, mathematically you are right

Administrator
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message