Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Shoreham idiots with Lasers

Just noticed there are some Shoreham based people on the forum, was wondering if anyone has ever run in to trouble with local idiots with lasers while flying in or out?

We were doing a survey project early last year just off shore from Shoreham and used the port for crew changes and logistical stops.
On two different occasions got the wheelhouse illuminated by someone on the pier with a high powered green laser.
First time was a bit of an issue as we were running a bit late on the tide with very small margins between the breakwaters and a strong current running.
Second time one of our 3rd officers was standing next to the controller for the 6KW search light and ‘shot back’. Reckon old mate would have been seeing stars for a few hours after that.

Are the kind of lasers you buy cheap on a market capable of this? They seem pretty weak. Or are high power lasers readily available?

Excuse me, but do you think that is a clever question?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

You can buy incredible lasers everywhere in China on the street market. The sort of laser that will make you blind immediately. They are illegal in Europe but commonly found.

Back in November 2014 I was returning from Jersey and had a powerful torch or maybe a laser pointed at the plane while at approx 300ft on final to runway 02. The plane before in the circuit had similar. We Both reported it to the tower and the police did seem to attend. I blamed my bad landing on it!

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

The problem is world wide, I have been hit by lasers in the UK, Sweden, France, Germany Slovakia and Italy.

The way it is perceived is interesting, most states take firm view of trying to catch the culprits the UK, Slovakian and Swedish police being very determined to enforce the law.

The worst two laser attacks have been in Rome, one of these was from a house just outside the northern airfield boundary at the western end of RWY 25. All aircraft taking off reported being hit by the green laser but is was over half an hour before the authority’s sent the piloce to take a look at it.

In my view this was the worst posable scenario aircraft taking off into the dark over the sea with no horizon to be seen and then to be blinded by a bright light, we had briefed for the laser attack and had a plan to mitigate for it but in my view the Italian authorities failed to take it seriously enough at the time and probably only realised the issues when the Pile of MOR’s turned up at the office on Monday morning.

Are the kind of lasers you buy cheap on a market capable of this? They seem pretty weak. Or are high power lasers readily available?

You can buy multiwatt lasers quite easily (although these generally won’t be something easily portable).

Do not stare into beam with remaining eye.

Andreas IOM
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message