Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tablet software reviews

Manufacturers have no obligation to cater for more than 8’000 ft because no tablet customer lives above 8’000ft… Have we heard about constant shutdowns at altitude elsewhere than within GA?

More seriously – if pilots actually bothered to have one application open instead of 50, maybe the number of shutdowns would decrease ^^.

It depends a lot on the aircraft. In a greenhouse like TB20, there is a lot of direct sunlight and if you don’t stow your devices carefully somewhere down, they will overheat. In a Cessna it’s less of a problem because the sun can only enter from the front or the sides. I have never had any device overheat. In a turbine/jet you have even less sunlight.

just a question – are you going to review on tablets or just Ipad ? ;-

Possibly, but (a) it’s complicated enough as it is, trying to do so many pieces of software and (b) some, though clearly not all, of the software is available on both platforms anyway.

Unfortunately SkyDemon aren’t that keen to take part, which is a shame because I know they are really popular choice and well-regarded rounded these parts.

The other one I am actively pursuing at the moment is Garmin – they’ve expressed various interests in EuroGA before, so I am optimistic we can get them on board. Not literally of course, given the aircraft will be full of computers, ipads and whatnot.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

SkyDemon have decided they don’t want to take part. Sorry to disappoint those who wanted to see it in the comparison.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

???

I think leaving out SD – one of the most popular choices out there, and IMHO the best product of the list you are currently contemplating – would leave the review severely handicapped. To what extent would it be possible to include SD in the trial, but without involvement/permission of SD?

If the only issue is that SD is not willing to grant you a license/subscription for free, then isn’t there some other way for you to obtain a license/subscription, so you can include SD in the test. (Don’t know if it’s entirely legal, but I would be willing to let you use my subscription for instance, for a limited amount of time.)

Or is there something in the SD end user license that forbids you from running benchmark test or publish comparisons between SD and other products, without approval from SD?

Don’t know if it’s entirely legal

almost certainly entirely illegal under the terms of use

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Maybe instead of a test/comparison, a review based on the merits of what each individual app has to offer is a better method?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Skydemon offers a 30 day free trial download: http://www.skydemon.aero/start/

There are some restrictions:

- You cannot use SkyDemon as your in-flight GPS for more than 30 minutes at a time, after which you must wait 10 minutes to use it again.
- You cannot file a flightplan or GAR form for your flight.
- Printed output is watermarked to indicate it has been produced by a trial version.
- Third-party airfield plates which are an optional extra for subscribers are not available during a trial.

David,

You’re welcome to fly with me to compare Sky Demon, Garmin Pilot and Jepp FD.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

If you can loan one it might be worthwhile to add an Airbox Foresight. It’s not a tablet but it does have a sunlight readable screen. I’d be interested to know how much of a difference this makes compared to the average tablet screen.

EHLE
Sign in to add your message