Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your way of doing the run-up at larger airports?

This question is about good airmanship and to learn what is customary out there.

What is your preferred position or moment during the sequence from starting the engine to takeoff to do the run-up and when operating from a larger airport?

I understand that some airports have a dedicated run-up area like Zurich.

What way of doing it would less impact the flow of traffic?

Frequent travels around Europe

At very large airports they will often have you do run ups at an intersection and in that sense you are out of the way.

EGTK Oxford

I do the complete checklist while taxiing, and a quick runup at the holding position.

Either the airport is real busy in which case you have time to do it while snaking ahead in the queue, or it’s not in which case a 30sec checklist isn’t holding anybody back :-)

My home base is nowhere near as busy or awesome as, say, Silvaire’s, but holding for 10-15 minutes is the norm. More than enough time to do run-ups :-)

IMHO, doing anything much while taxiing is a great way to end up refurbishing somebody else’s aircraft on your insurer’s payout And smashing up the front of yours too.

It’s OK with two pilots, but you need to be 100.00000% sure the other pilot is actually looking where you are going, not daydreaming or whatever. In GA, not many “co-pilots” are that disciplined.

I stop taxi even when writing down (and then reading back) a departure clearance. I then do try to check there is nobody behind me, who could run into the back of me if not looking ahead, but that isn’t easily checked if ATC speaks less than excellent English, so I ask them the question if doing this at my base, but would not try it in most places abroad; I would say Standby and continue taxi to the holding point.

Re engine runs, I tend to find that most airports expect them to be done at the final holding point. Some specifically tell you to do the run on the runway, which I always find surprising, but I have had this a number of times. Ones I recall are Zadar (not busy) and Dresden (quite busy).

I would never do engine checks while taxiing. This is a real cowboy method (engine run against the brakes) IMHO. At Shoreham, we used to see the Trilanders (going to Jersey etc) doing that, to save a bit of time.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Agree. No checklists during single pilot taxying.

One can sure do some pre take-off items whilst taxying on a long, straight taxiway, but not work through checklists whilst doing so.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

IMHO, doing anything much while taxiing is a great way to end up refurbishing somebody else’s aircraft

Agreed. And you would fail a checkride for doing so. But I am a sinner and I have caught myself dialing stuff in on the G1000 during taxi. So I need better discipline in that domain to reach perfection

LFPT, LFPN

At very large airports they will often have you do run ups at an intersection and in that sense you are out of the way.

That means one is supposed to ask for that or advise that a run-up is needed? I noticed that ATC at large airports don’t suggest a place for doing it. It’s only us little guys who need a little bit of time. ATC may not always be aware of that.

I’ve been lucky to had to hold for long enough at an intersection or the runway holding point so that I could do everything. But that luck may change. Hence the question :-)

Frequent travels around Europe

At many large airports one can add “Will accept intersection takeoff” when asking for a taxi clearance. This gets you some time to do a run-up at the holding point without interfering with the airliner traffic.

On the other hand, even for a full-length takeoff you may have extra time on your hands anyway due to mandatory wake turbulence separation.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

A couple of months ago I missed the runup area and all of a sudden found myself staring at the hold short line without having done them. Was too narrow to turn around and I had a Citation behind me. Very embarrassing. I offered to taxi back on the rwy to the next exit, but luckily the Citation could just make the previous intersection and accepted an intersection takeoff. I could just hear him sigh off radio.

Lesson learned – always ask where it is or where they want you to do it if I’m not familiar.

29 Posts
Sign in to add your message