Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

102 Oct fuel vs.Avgas

hello,
what is apart from the legal side the differance from 100LL to Super plus 102 oct. that is availible in countries like Germany

could it be used for aircraft engines (i know legaly not) but technical speaking?

fly2000

From a technical perspective, a lot is possible. Unless the circumstances are very very special, you can fly on this Ultimate 102 just as well as on AVGAS.

However, the fuels are very different. There are several systems of knock rating, the most important being RON (research octane number) and MON (motor octane number). The Aral stuff like all fuel stations are RON where as AVGAS is 100 MON. 102 RON corresponds to 88 MON so it’s like a hypothetical AVGAS 88.

With my connections to Egypt and Africa I have a lot of first hand experience and know what people are doing. My conclusion is that no airplane really needs 100LL, they all work just as well with the fuel station stuff and not even the 102 etc but the standard stuff we put in our cars. The knock margins requiring 100LL are a problem when you go 100% power with 38" MP, 500°F CHT and leaned mixture.

Last Edited by achimha at 31 Jul 11:21

Makes you wonder how the Jumo 213 was certified to 1750 HP and 31k ft on 87 octane go-juice…^^

3 Posts
Sign in to add your message