Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Taking a 727 into a GA airfield

Interesting clip - the runway is 1232m, and conditions not exactly ideal:

Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya

Cool! Especially enjoyed the second go-around. Must have been fun to fly...

There is a video out on YouTube somewhere of a couple of SAA captains landing a 747 on a tiny strip in South Africa, similar scenario (a/c donated to uni or museum). Can't find it right now, but it's pretty unbelievable, as the strip is only a couple of feet wider than the track of the 747 landing gear. There are people out there who really know what they doing with an a/c!

Here you go:

And I quite liked Queen.....

(And I can't make the link work and I've given up trying.......)

[Fixed - just pop the Youtube URL into your message, as it it, no brackets]

Forever learning
EGTB

Yep, it's that landing (and they had a crosswind!), but there's another video out there where you see how close the wheels are to the rwy edges. Simply amazing. If I find it I'll try to post a link.

and I remember a similar movie of an Il-62 donated to an aeroclub in the then GDR and landing on their grass runway at an impossibly high angle of attack. Wonder if it's still there, might well be worth a visit.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I think a Comet jet airliner was flown into Strathallan, Scotland, when it was an aviation museum. (It's parachuting now) I don't know of any pics/videos.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

It doesn't always work, last year there was a near accident with a Luftwaffe Transall C-160 attempting to land on a small grass strip -- also delivery to a museum.

Coverage here.

and I remember a similar movie of an Il-62 donated to an aeroclub in the then GDR and landing on their grass runway at an impossibly high angle of attack. Wonder if it's still there, might well be worth a visit.

Yes, it's still there. It serves as museum and registry office (http://www.otto-lilienthal.de/ausstellung/). It had been donated to Stölln Airfield (http://www.edor.org/index.php?id=home&sub=home), the place where Otto Lilienthal undertook many of his pioneering gliding experiments between 1894 and 96. The landing of the Il-62 long-range airliner is listed in Guiness Book of Records for the shortest grass field landing of an airliner - 850m. Here is one of many videos:

The handling pilot of this flight, Heinz-Dieter Kallbach, became quite famous in unified Germany as well when he was assaulted by a suicidal passenger in the cockpit his B737 that he flew for Germania - obviously before 9/11 when cockpit doors were still open to passengers. The fight lasted for a full six minutes, the passenger treated the pilots with fists and kicks and also disengaged the autopilot in the process. And he became famous once more within the pilot community when he publicly criticized the working conditions within low-cost carriers (the worst of which in Germany being his employer Germania) and was made redundant for this!

EDDS - Stuttgart

Thank you, sir!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Those landings are pussycats! Edited to say not that last one on the grass! Wow!

Look at this! landing at the one time Meigs field, across the road from the Chicago Museum of Science and Technology (MSI).

After landing, they cleared a route across the highway at some expense and towed the old girl to the museum parking lot, intact and undamaged.

Despite having the aircraft complete, after a couple of years they then cut the wings off and sectioned the fuselage so that it now forms part of an upper level gallery. Quite impressive as a display, but a shame nonetheless.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message