Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Turbo Commander

Cobalt wrote:

The way class ratings were introduced for SETs was a blatant abuse of the regulations, since the classes are in many cases actually types.

Well, I thought it was just semantics (I came in when EASA FCL was already published, I never read the previous JARs – well, just a few when doing research). It was confusing since SET should be the class rating (just as SEP or TMG, because those are the classes; well, TMG is another confusing one). The “TBM class rating” is another thing inherited from JAA. I have no idea what logic was behind it. More housekeeping was required. The TBM SET should now just be an endorsement, not a class rating.

Current arrangement of a class rating plus differences training isn’t really different from type ratings in the sense that you essentially have mandatory type specific training. It seems they want type specific training but without everything that comes with a type rating, so instead of messing with type ratings they introduced this.

Which is different from MEP, where differences training is also required, but only entered into the logbook.

That’s why I wrote I’m not sure. Because differences training on a jet requires ATO, IIRC. I had a sneaking suspicion that the same might be true for HPA SETs. Unlike in a SEP where completion of differences training is just written in a logbook.

What exactly differences training entails is also quite mysterious – I don’t remember any document saying more than familiarization is just theory and differences training also practice (in an aircraft or a simulator), in essence. I know that reading manuals should be sufficient as familiarization as far as SEPs go, but I don’t know if it’s written in some EASA document.

Peter wrote:

I think I missed the chance of grabbing mine via the FAA ATP exam route.

Since you have FAA CPL/ IR, unless I’m mistaken, you can go that route. But the HPA course isn’t that difficult. And some outfits should be able to add it on top of (well, actually under as you have to do it first ) the class rating you would have to do anyway.

Change of subject back to the original… Any idea how many of these are running in Europe?
Great plane, fell in love with the turbo commander within minutes of starting a demo flight in one a few weeks ago.
Used to be a bunch getting maintained at Fairoaks (EGTF) but hear it’s less than it used to be these days.
I’m on the the verge of buying a 690A in the US where there is ample support and am wondering if I bring it back to Western Europe when I return there if I’m going to be flying around in an alien ship unsupported in Europe.

EGTF, LFMD

There are quite a few flying. OO-ROB, OO-GOA in Belgium. There are a handful in Sweden. Germany (Airplus Maintenance Gmbh in Friedrichshafen is a service center) has quite a few, France etc. UK used to have a few as both corporate transport and survey ships, but don’t know the latest numbers. There is a service center there too, Gama Aviation at Farnborough. I would think there’s probably at least 20-30 in active service in Europe, but it’s just a guess.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 28 Nov 06:07

I think I recently saw one with Italian registration for sale. As for support, it would probably matter whether it’s registered here (EU) or there (US) as the shop/ mechanic/ inspector needs appropriate approvals.

Ecco a 690A in Brescia

www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=28455

Back in the day, before Dublin Weston was redeveloped, a Turbo Commander used to ply the route across the Irish Sea from Liverpool on charter. They have the reputation of being a Pilot’s airplane so looking forward to Adam’s trip reports when his is back in circulation.

This one on the N reg still visits Weston.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I think N690CL and N691CL are based in the UK. Owned by Centerline Aerospace. Both have the slipper aux tanks on the wing that adds 100gal. They have 484gal capacity in total with this system, which gives an endurance of 8hr+.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 28 Nov 18:16

AdamFrisch wrote:

I think N690CL and N691CL are based in the UK. Owned by Centerline Aerospace.

Yes, they’re both at Oxford.

Oxford and Bidford

@AFKAE
Thanks. Do you know of any other ones based in the UK? I Know M-BETS is UK based.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 02 May 16:37

AdamFrisch wrote:

Thanks. Do you know of any other ones based in the UK? I Know M-BETS is UK based.

I don’t know anything about the type, I just happen to be at Oxford quite regularly and often walk past them.

Oxford and Bidford
Sign in to add your message