Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Would you or do you takeoff above MTOM?

What is the full fuel payload of the G5/SR22T?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

SR22 G5 NA, no air condition: 359 kg
SR22T G5, with a/c: 255 kg

You are going to have a fun time getting 4 adults in the 255kg.

4 UK Size 8 women, say 50kg each, sure. But they are rare; this is “slim” by any definition. Then you have clothes and luggage… and very few of them are pilots so maybe 80kg for one of the four. Then you need to carry some stuff in the back – oil, tools, etc. Life raft, jackets?

No way.

Obviously you can load a 1500kg plane say 100kg over max i.e. 7% over so you will need 15% more runway, etc. I am sure people do this all the time.

Administrator

I think the Air Conditioning is not needed over here in Europe and saves quite a lot, but it will be tight to get off with 4 people or theoretically they now sell it as a 5 person aircraft (child seat).

EDLE, Netherlands

Actually I’ve seen five adults (not from a Football team) in the G5, and you can use it as a five person airplane for flights up to three hours. I think that’s a good thing!

Air Condition: When I searched for my SR22, I actually didn’t want A/C. But then I bought an airplane that has it (because I liked all of the rest) … and now I’d never want one without anymore. Most flights i do are in the summer and to the south, and it’s really very comfortable, especially with the kids/family on board. The downside is the low payload of my SR22. As long as my kids are small (well, now they’re already 11 and 13) it will be okay. I also can see that there will nt be too many long distance family flights … The good thing: My favourite flight to Split (LDSP, 2:15) I can do with 4 people on board.

The 255kg is not in any way exceptional. My TB20 has 500kg total payload (1400kg MTOW, 900kg empty) so with full fuel it has about 270kg for passengers and junk.

Obviously that’s without a turbo (the TB20 is a smaller plane than the SR22) but the challenge of carrying four people is the same. It’s not practically possible unless they are small people or children, or you fly with a lot less than max fuel; below 1/2 tanks.

Administrator

It’s about 285 without the air condition, but still … But then look at a JetProp … one reason I don’t want one. Too much money for flying illegal …

Yesterday we flew home in 3 legs from Crete (via Atherns and Thessaloniki), and it was still so expensive that I could have paid the variable cost for a Meridian and fly direct LGIR-EDML (or EDMA IFR) … I wonder if the Meridian could do it with 4 people plus 50 kg baggage …

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 06 Jan 11:19

What is the full fuel payload of the G5/SR22T?

In fact I think any airplane with a full fuel payload of more than about 150kg for the crew just has got too small tanks. If I buy an airframe I want to get the most out of it so I would like to be able to use my total payload as flexible as possible. So either with lots of load in the cabin or with lots ot fuel for ferry flight range.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

My full fuel payload is 260 kg on the C-Mooney with my current equipment. That is 3 80 kg guys plus 20 kgs of baggage. Or 2 × 80 adults and 2 40 kg kids plus 20 kgs of bags. That is ok for me as I fly alone or with my wife all the time. 80 kgs of baggage works for us just fine.

Sebastian_G wrote:

In fact I think any airplane with a full fuel payload of more than about 150kg for the crew just has got too small tanks.

Why? Personally I think that any airplane which has less than at least 70-80 kgs / seat full fuel payload (or a clearly defined fuel payload like the “filler neck” on the Pipers and Grummans) is asking for constant overloading. M 150 kg for a 2 people airplane is what my Cessna 150 had and it was impossible to fly with 2 people and baggage legally. One of the reasons I sold it, apart from the rather slow speed and short range.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Well our aero clubs C150 had around 230kg useful load, the BO208 has 244kg the SF23 has 238kg and the ASK16 has about 240kg, too. So not all two seat aircraft are that bad.

Otherwise I agree with Sebastian. Too small tanks decrease operational flexibility. 150kg for a one person crew is generous, I think. Many microlights and some motorgliders I know claim that for two persons.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany
Sign in to add your message