Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Landing at an abandoned airfield

Fuji_Abound wrote:

Without permission its trespass

In Scotland, subject to certain conditions, it’s just bad form.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Is there any difference between landing at an abandoned runway (possibly with “X” at each end) and landing on any other bit of private land?

Yes, because the “why” does count. At ENVA the 130/310 has been abandoned for 15-20 years, but it is still there with large Xes. If the wind is blowing from SW with heavy turbulence and you ask for clearance to land at that runway, the tower will simply say: Runway free, no known traffic or some similar, but you will not get a clearance to land there. It happens from time to time.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving – is that quite the case in the UK?

If you land in a farmers field (or somewhere like Bembridge) there is probably no one on the ground, and you will get exactly nothing. Of course there may be someone on the ground (for example another aircraft) who might pass some information, and it is entirely your judgement what you do with that information and how you use it. I recall at Bembridge once being given the wind by another pilot nearly 180 degrees out! To be fair there wasnt much wind, but he had landed with a tail wind.

Then there are places where you will get some form of unofficial weather because there is some form of air ground or ground service. The actual is usually going to be pretty reliable but intended for general guidance only.

and then of course their is full ATC.

Have we all made the mistake in the first two categories of not checking? I guess so – well I have. The biggest realisation is flying float planes in Scotland where you will often find the wind between two lochs seperated by one ridge is 100% different.

Peter – I wonder what prompted the question in the first place?

I wonder what prompted the question in the first place?

I think it’s a good Q to ask, given how many disused runways there are around Europe.

On top of that we had that crazy situation at Plymouth, but I think there were factors in play there which were, ahem, particular to some of the personalities involved

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It is a good question to ask.

Fuji_Abound wrote:

LeSving – is that quite the case in the UK?

I have no idea what the case in UK is. An abandon strip with X’es or not, is just like any other piece of land.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

UK ANO Art 255:

‘Aerodrome’:
(a) means any area of land or water designed, equipped, set apart or commonly used for affording facilities for the landing and departure of aircraft; and
(c) does not include any area the use of which for affording facilities for the landing and departure of aircraft has been abandoned and has not been resumed;

It used to be a requirement in the UK that if you landed off aerodrome, you could not take off again without the permission of the local constablary, but I can no longer find any reference to that.

17 Posts
Sign in to add your message