Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How many pilots don't get airport notams?

That is the main EAD site, as far as I can tell. I used to use it, but it throws away your password every 6 months or so (forces you to change it) which is a hassle I can do without. Let's face it, this is hardly national security stuff. I don't know why they bother.

In fact that login was just a fake, till a couple of years ago. I know somebody who wrote a program which grabbed the entire site (~20GB of the national AIP approach plates) and he discovered that the login didn't actually do anything But the company that runs it keeps changing the structure in subtle ways and he lost interest after a while...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

But airport notams are vital.

Of course. So why should anyone think otherwise? :-)

It saves people phoning into airports jamming up the lines just to inquire the same things over and over again each day.

Except when the notam is incorrect, as in my example above.

In that case, anybody relying on the notam would have been turned away.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As I recently posted elsewhere, having used e.g. NATS/AIS notam data, to be completely assured, one needs to refresh/update it immediately before starting a flight, or to back it up by calling the 0500 number to see if there are any changes.

(For example, a notam can be raised in very short time if something occurs – I think it was the Flixborough explosion/fire that caused one to be raised during the day, just after it happened, when a restricted area was imposed.)

Chris N

Ridgewell, Essex
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message