Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft Documents - EASA and FAA (merged)

JnsV wrote:

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

But I do have got reproaches, founded or not, the time I forgot my pilot’s logbook in the briefing room and went flying without having it on-board.

From whom?

“People with authority” at the field – my homefield. It was stated I might have suffered from a ramp-check for not carrying said logbook on board while flying.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

It was stated I might have suffered from a ramp-check for not carrying said logbook on board while flying.

I have been ramp checked 3 times in France and once in NL. The logbook was never a subject. My spare glasses and journey log were along with the other aircraft documents, license and medical. In NL the only thing they were interested in was my blood alcohol (and my passenger’s)

You should ask these authority figures what part of the regs require the logbook to be carried with you.

LFPT, LFPN

It’d be interesting to know if anybody reading this carries their pilot logbook in flight.

(I’m not even required to maintain a logbook in complete form including all flights, only a limited record to prove BFR currency and 90 day currency if applicable)

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

“People with authority” at the field – my homefield.

You mean an airport manager or club president who actually has zero authority?

Aviathor wrote:

In NL the only thing they were interested in was my blood alcohol (and my passenger’s)

What would have they done if your pax had drunk before?

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

JnsV wrote:

What would have they done if your pax had drunk before?

Beats me. Should be answered by some flying Dutch(wo)man.

They did not even ask who was the pilot, and they did not ask any of us for our documents. Nor did they show any interest in the aircraft documents.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 25 Apr 18:35
LFPT, LFPN

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

“People with authority” at the field – my homefield.

Ah, in other words, airfield jobsworths!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jobsworth

Andreas IOM

Silvaire wrote:

It’d be interesting to know if anybody reading this carries their pilot logbook in flight.

(I’m not even required to maintain a logbook in complete form including all flights, only a limited record to prove BFR currency and 90 day currency if applicable)

I don’t carry mine. I only carry it if I need an instructor to sign something off.

The amount of logs you have to fill in here is absurd though. For a 10 minute bimble at Andreas I’m compelled to fill in at least 5 logs: airframe log, engine log, my own pilot log, journey log and airfield log! I usually just ignore the airfield log (seriously, who’s going to care at an unattended gravel runway?) and I’m sorely tempted to write a program to allow the logs my Garmin G5 writes to just generate all the others. (Pity the owner of a light twin, he gets to fill in: his pilot log, airframe log, two separate propeller logs, two separate engine logs and the airfield log for the same 10 minute bimble: likely he would spend more time filling these 7 logs than he did on the flight!)

Andreas IOM

Ah, in other words, airfield jobsworths!

The aeroclub president can be very powerful. We have had quite a lot of threads here in years past, on stuff going on in, notably, one country, but no doubt other places where you have the “friendly club based” culture. What tends to happen is that the club chief ends up with a lot of control via the election by committee procedure (plus, “big characters” rise to the top of volunteer organisations anyway) and if he deems someone doesn’t fly very much (which is usually true for most members) he can exert a lot of influence.

(Pity the owner of a light twin, he gets to fill in: his pilot log, airframe log, two separate propeller logs, two separate engine logs and the airfield log for the same 10 minute bimble: likely he would spend more time filling these 7 logs than he did on the flight!)

A lot of people don’t do these logbooks; they get their CAMO to do it all, and they pay…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

alioth wrote:

The amount of logs you have to fill in here is absurd though. For a 10 minute bimble at Andreas I’m compelled to fill in at least 5 logs: airframe log, engine log, my own pilot log, journey log and airfield log! I usually just ignore the airfield log (seriously, who’s going to care at an unattended gravel runway?) and I’m sorely tempted to write a program to allow the logs my Garmin G5 writes to just generate all the others. (Pity the owner of a light twin, he gets to fill in: his pilot log, airframe log, two separate propeller logs, two separate engine logs and the airfield log for the same 10 minute bimble: likely he would spend more time filling these 7 logs than he did on the flight!)

IMO, that is a complete misunderstanding. Why would you do that after every single flight? When it is time for any maintenance(of that part that has a logbook) you just note the total flight time in service at the time. Is this a marketing trick/hoax done by the logbook manufacturers?? AFAIK, nothing in Part-M says that you do this after every flight.

ESSZ, Sweden

He was referring to UK CAA rules specifically, where they have these engine and propeller logbooks. Don’t worry.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message