Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

RNAV vs PRNAV approaches

Peter wrote:

Since AIP plate URLs have a half life of about 5 minutes, I have put a local copy of bookworm’s EHRS ILS 20 plate here, and the Jepp version here

Interesting to compare!

They’re not the same procedures! For starters, bookworm’s plate has a 5.9 NM leg from ROT NDB to ROVOX, while the Jepp plate has an 8.2+2.0 NM leg from ROT to the RR NDB.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

And the latest news from bookworm is brilliant – the LOA won’t be needed at all. An AFMS, more or less, will do the job i.e. similar to LPV.

Yes, but — as bookworm pointed out — you still need the airworthiness approval for the installation and I would think that is the major job unless you happen to have an appropriate STC. I can imagine that there are lots of old GNS 430/530 installations that don’t. And then we have the requirements for pilot qualification. But of course every little bit helps.

(Not all EASA countries have required LoAs for private flights anyway, e.g. Sweden hasn’t.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

They’re not the same procedures!

Sorry – you are right. I have fixed the Jepp plate.

The Jepp plate doesn’t mention PRNAV/RNAV1 at all, AFAICS.

unless you happen to have an appropriate STC

That seems to be the de facto situation in Europe because doing a Major Mod is €10k+, reportedly.

And then we have the requirements for pilot qualification.

That’s bad news since you don’t need one for non-GPS procedures but isn’t that (mandatory pilot training for any GPS approach) coming anyway?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I distinctly recall reading a post by you in the £75/year PPL/IR “private” forum where your alter ego hangs out with rather more informative posts (I am not a member anymore, after the treatment I recently got there

And the latest news from bookworm is brilliant – the LOA won’t be needed at all. An AFMS, more or less, will do the job i.e. similar to LPV.

Have you worked out what you’re paying your £75 for yet, Peter?

Peter wrote:

I distinctly recall reading a post by you in the £75/year PPL/IR “private” forum where your alter ego hangs out with rather more informative posts (I am not a member anymore, after the treatment I recently got there – in the usual “GA tribal” fashion they seem to be very unhappy about EuroGA having been set up) where you reported the 1 year delay.

Peter, that comment is hardly edifying. Could you please stop making personal attacks like this.

EGTK Oxford

Have you worked out what you’re paying your £75 for yet, Peter?

Of course, and I don’t think I ever said to the contrary.

I suppose my point would be that all European GA representative bodies would find recruitment easier if they exercised more control over some individuals who make enemies all over the place.

It is not easy to do this in a volunteer organisation where you always struggle to find anyone, and certain characters tend to rise up to the top.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
46 Posts
Sign in to add your message