Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Attention Visitors to the Antipodes :)

http://www.ozrunways.com/site/

OzRunways iPad App has now been officially approved by CASA !!!! All Australian maps and terminal charts (many geo-referenced), AIP, ERSA for around AU$100 per year :) PS The equivalent annual subscription from Jeppesen is close to AU$300.

YSCB

Pity ASA won't seem to allow Skydemon to use its data....NZ do

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Did Jepps deal with the ASA ever become known ?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Did Jepps deal with the ASA ever become known ?

What do you mean, Peter?

YSCB

Sorry, I meant AirServices Australia....the equivalent of NATS...I never really followed the court case between ASA and Jepp...however CASA Australia still requires you to have a cockpit full of Charts and even the enroute supplement to the AIP....which can only be purchased from AsA

AnthonyQ said:

....however CASA Australia still requires you to have a cockpit full of Charts and even the enroute supplement to the AIP....

Not any longer :)

Sorry if I got confused by the acronyms

Jepp got sued by the Australian CAA for allegedly using copyright material for producing their charts.

Gosh - I thought that was exactly what Jeppesen did Where are they going to get the stuff from, apart from national CAA publications?

There was an out of court settlement, which appears to have remained confidential, but one chap I spoke to in the UK CAA at some exhibition, some years ago, suggested that it became well known in the business and became a template for negotiations with other CAAs. Perhaps Jepp pay some money for the use of the material.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter said:

Gosh - I thought that was exactly what Jeppesen did Where are they going to get the stuff from, apart from national CAA publications?....Perhaps Jepp pay some money for the use of the material.

It is only fair that commercial "vendors", Jeppesen Sanderson being the major one of those, pay national governmental agencies for accessing data generated by those agencies (maps, charts, AIPs, etc) to produce and distribute their own commercial products that incorporate those data.

YSCB

I suppose the Australian government (along with most? governments) views providing safety of life services to aviation not as one of their core basic services to the community and as such attempts to recover as much of the cost as possible from users....So it follows that they would not be willing to allow their data to be used for free....is that not how it is everywhere? What about the US?

Had to go to Sydney for a few days a week or so ago....thought I would do my AFR (renamed from BFR for some inexplicable reason)....went up to the Central Coast to try and avoid the Bankstown (YSBK) circus....of course we ended up flying into BK anyway (with no GPS)... the instructor noted that the traffic levels are way down these days, so no drama....plus the full gambit of PFL, glide, flapless, steep turns, hood time, stalls in various configurations....anyway $750 later I got my logbook signed off....but I still wasn't allowed to fly solo as my Aviation Security Identification Card had expired in Feb (as it is only valid for two years at a time) and it takes a month or so with full background checks after resubmitting notarized copies of passport, birth certificate, licence etc...oh and $145....so enjoyed the flying, as always, and the Central Coast NSW is very beautiful....but just wonder why Australia is trying so hard to destroy GA

12 Posts
Sign in to add your message