Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Temporary Schengen "suspension" around Europe

dublinpilot wrote:

Unfortunately it was expected and as some of you correctly mentioned
Do you have any idea what the reason is for this? Where is the pressure for this coming from?
Is it security fears, or is it a power grab by certain authorities, or is there some commercial benefit for the larger airports that’s driving it?

First a correction on my initial post. The law id from 2010 and not 2013.

Just called ANAC
The person I spoke with was only able to provide me his only interpretation on the reasons behind it:
1- From the safety perspective, to limit operations for international to aerodromes with required safety conditions;
2- From the security perspective, to have a official notification of arrival;
3- Despite the NOTAM mention of 3 authorities, the PPR is only submitted one to ANAC and coordinated with the other mentioned authorities;
4- I was promised a ASAP reply on additional costs;
5- I informed that the applicable form is not easily accessible at the ANAC site (to be honest I was not able to find it either on Portuguese version and English version) and they are looking into it, hopefully to make it more user friendly.

My interpretation regarding commercial benefit of major international airports. For now, I don’t think so. It will depend how they are going to manage the PPRs. First time I read the 2010 law, that was my impression, it appeared it was limiting the initial arrival to LPPT, LPPR, LPFR and LPCS upon PPR. The NOTAM is more open, allowing small airports, with safety conditions to be Schengen entry points upon PPR.

Last Edited by lmsl1967 at 01 Jun 09:04
LPSR, Portugal

We have a crew operating in Portugal right now (calibrating the entire country!); we’ve formally asked for clarification. The Cascais limitation is particularly frustrating.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

lmsl1967 wrote:

1- From the safety perspective, to limit operations for international to aerodromes with required safety conditions;
2- From the security perspective, to have a official notification of arrival

First one seems absurd. If the safety conditions of an aerodrome/airport are adequate for an internal private flight, obviously they’re also adequate for an international private flight. Crossing the border makes no difference on the safety level required in the arrival airfield. What a nonsense!

The security point goes clearly against European Union concept and Schengen agreement. In addition, the official notification of arrival is the FPL, which is already required for all international flights. Law enforcement agencies can retrieve the list of A/C arriving an departing from any airport. Are they going now to check also everybody crossing by car? Are they going to require a 24h minimum PPR before crossing?

This decision is just incredible and groundless.

LECU - Madrid, Spain

Portugal seems to shoot itself in the foot on a regular basis. They say they want and need tourism but they change the taxation rules for property all the time, and impose rental licensing and other regulations at a whim. It makes holiday property in Portugal very unattractive for those, like myself, foolish enough to have invested our money there.

It’s a shame, I love the place.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

To both Coolhand and Neil: yes I do agree and yes we do shoot our feet occasionally, or more times that one likes. Hard to argue both.

If it worth, on my call to ANAC, I mentioned the current ongoing discussion (amoung other details that I am still calling their attention) and they showed some interest on the specific name of the forum. Let’s hope they read it.

Still no info on possible associated costs.

LPSR, Portugal

Out of curiosity I have filed an enquiry here:
http://ec.europa.eu/eu-rights/enquiry-complaint-form/splash

Asking them to which extend “the NOTAM is not unduly restricting my freedom for free movement in EU.
Additionally such requirement is discriminatory as such prior authorisation is not required for other transportation methods.”

Will keep you posted of the answer.

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

jfw wrote:

Out of curiosity I have filed an enquiry here:

I think this is not an issue concerning the internal market, and your enquiry will thus go to the wrong commissioner. This is an issue about Article 45 of the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights.

But you can try it here: http://ec.europa.eu/your-rights/help/individuals/index_en.htm
Choose “Getting a public authority in another EU country to respect my EU rights”. You should eventually end up in “SOLVIT”. Good luck.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 01 Jun 13:11

Maybe we should all do that…

LFPT, LFPN

If a EU country does not like the regulations that permit free movements of people and goods, I suggest this country should leave. Then it’s a clear cut thing.

Cherry picking in a relationship never ends well

Frequent travels around Europe

+1

Stephan_Schwab wrote:

free movements of people and goods
and services to be more precise
Sign in to add your message