Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Filing IFR in VMC if not IR rated

Peter wrote:

strongly country dependent

That definitely used to be true before EASA-OPS, but if the type is IFR approved and the aircraft has the IFR equipment required by part-NCO (for most of us) and by airspace, then any further requirements by the NA would be, I believe, gold-plating and in violation of EASA regs. I wonder if European rules are really that much different from FAR 91. While a functioning 6-pack of flight instruments or equivalent PFD would always be required for IFR by part-NCO, the need for NAV equipment like DME, ADF or GPS would depend on the planned flight and procedures – and even the weather: Visual navigation is specifically mentioned as a valid means of navigation (AMC1 NCO.IDE.A.195) and so could be your legal navigation “equipment” backup.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

I think many did their Basic Instrument Flying (Ex19) during PPL training without being IFR certified & equipped? surely no one have filed IFR flight plans or got IFR clearances to do that

For flying by sole reference to instruments (FBSRI), I am sure many still do UK IMCr training or revalidation where the aircraft is certified & equipped for instrument flying but not legal for any route navigation except following the roads on a sunny day

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

I think many did their Basic Instrument Flying (Ex19) during PPL training without being IFR certified & equipped? surely no one have filed IFR flight plans or got IFR clearances to do that

Yeah. Lo and behold, we even flew through clouds for that! No flight plan, no clearance, no IRI and in an aircraft which cannot be IFR certified.
We even flew precision radar approaches into a Luftwaffe airbase with the “IFR goggles” on…again without a flight plan.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany
43 Posts
Sign in to add your message