Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK GAR form discussion, and UK border police procedures

Does the law state that you have to wait to receive the permission to travel before going?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve just signed up for the fee-paying OnlineGAR on their assurance that very soon they will be fully integrated with sGAR.
£2 a hit is a small price to pay (in flying terms) for a system that is user friendly and saves me transcribing some 30 passenger details and most of my past flights in to what I have found a ‘clunky’ system.
I hope that soon they can mutually agree to be incorporated with SkyDemon so that, like Pooley’s etc. (for which one already pays a fee) one could have ‘one-stop shopping’.
It is still a frustration, though, that one has to submit one’s details to Calais via a web submission.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Thanks Carl

I used the govt site to file two GARs yesterday, for myself and 1 passenger.

The passenger got approved immediately but I didn’t It just said something like “working on it”.

Since it said you can submit a GAR without waiting for the approval, I just moved on, after a few mins.

The site is badly designed, offering boxes to be filled in which have already been filled in beforehand.

So, since it isn’t 6th April yet, I filed the GARs by email, CCing to both Newhaven and Biggin Hill police forces (historically dealing with Shoreham) and heard nothing back.

I will continue to use both methods to see if any of the emails bounce back. I am sure they won’t because they are real email addresses, but the ncu@ one may start bouncing.

Administrator

@carlmeek how does this affect CTA GARs (eg IOM to UK, NI to GB etc, Eire to GB)?

Andreas IOM

Jut got another email from the GAR department:

I’ve just tried the govt website again and it worked. They could really do with a simple web form for a return trip (like the old GAR form was, until a couple of years ago) but they obviously aren’t doing this to make anybody’s life easier. It also works on a phone, which was really hard with the PDF method.

Curiously, this time, it didn’t present the bit about approving my travel. It just output a receipt number.

I should also try Carl Meek’s OnlineGAR. I have used it a while ago.

Administrator

So fo the time being, GARs via Skydemon don‘t „work“ any more, whilst onlinegar still does (despite onlinegar not supporting the „Permission to Travel“ scheme yet)?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The official guidance doc has now been updated: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/general-aviation-operators-and-pilots-notification-of-flights/general-aviation-report-guidance-accessible.

• they have yet again changed the terminology. CoA aerodromes are now “regulated aerodromes”. Further down, the mix up terms again and call those regulated aerodromes “approved aerodromes”…LOL
  • the guidance now contains info on various fines
  • it clarifies which type of arrivals/departures are allowed at non-regulated aerodromes
  • GAR may now only be sent max 48 hours before the flight. However, further down in Annexes C-F, this restriction does not appear any more
  • email no longer allowed for GARs
  • they fixed the typos in Annex E (which has now become Annex A!). But there are still many airfields missing in the list, and one has to check with those individually if they ARE in fact regulated, despite not being on the official list
  • at first glance, there seem to be no changes (submission deadlines) for flights to and from ROI, NI, CI and IOM
  • it says very little about the “permission to travel” subject
Last Edited by boscomantico at 09 Apr 07:03
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I believe that the following requirement is now being asked under the new GAR System:

Health Requirement: All male pilots over the age of 60 must also provide a recent Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) test result. This is to ensure the safety and well-being of the flight operations involving senior pilots.

Although I have recently renewed both my FAA and CAA Class II Medical’s which authorises me as medically ‘fit to fly’, is someone now in the Border Force making an aditional medical asssesment as to my ability? And if so, on what criterea?
Do the Regulations sitpulate what level of PSA for a specific age is/is not acceptable?
And/or what form of Verification will they accept?
Remember the maxim: ”Most males of 60+ will die WITH Prostate Cancer; Very few will die BECAUSE of Prostate Cancer”.
Likewise: Is there any evidence worldwide where a pilot, who has been deemed to be ‘fit to fly’, has become suddenley incapacitated because of his PSA?

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Peter_G wrote:

I believe that the following requirement is now being asked under the new GAR System: Health Requirement: All male pilots over the age of 60 must also provide a recent Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) test result. This is to ensure the safety and well-being of the flight operations involving senior pilots.

@Peter_G where did you get from? Hopefully not from Flyer, published on 1-Apr?

EGTR
Sign in to add your message