Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK GAR form discussion, and UK border police procedures

The irony of course is that they have zero interest in UK/EU passport holders who have actually filled in the form. I’ve not seen anyone from BF for any of inbounds this year.

IME, they have gone from 100% to zero this year so far…

Any local advice on any “special procedures” needed to keep BF happy at Shoreham would be welcomed, clearly the system that works perfectly well for the rest of the UK doesnt work at EGKA …. according to the BF

They have lost some of mine, so I showed them my CCd copy on my phone and they went away happy, muttering something about their system.

They used to be aggressive but that was years ago. Maybe you should just use email like I do. I don’t think the ncu@ address goes anywhere but this one definitely does go exactly to the right place for Shoreham:

All professions recruit selectively on personality, and “enforcement” professions (police, security of all kinds, CAA, even ATC but more so AFIS/A-G) attract nasty characters (who tend to be aggressive to cover up their low IQ) preferentially. One used to need a crash course on sarcasm, too. But I have not seen bad people in the local police here for some years.

it seems to me someone got a juicy contract with huge paycheck to get that Govt website live and wanted everybody to sit on it

Govt IT is always a nice juicy business. Especially if writing code in Java, or better still something really modern like COBOL66. £1000/day is the base rate.

Curiously it works fine if I incorrectly insert a hyphen.

That’s the secret then. It’s a bit like FR24 which must have a hyphen for G-XXXX but must not for NXXXX. Obvious really

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The Submit a GAR (sGAR) site seems to allow N113AC to be stored if entered in entirely lower case. Upper case (with or without a hyphen) works fine for G-reg, and for another (real) N-reg. Weird. As a beta service it invites feedback; I have done so.

I’ve never been met by Border Force / police on arrival at Fairoaks, inbound or outbound. Only UK passport holders.

Last Edited by Indochine at 22 Aug 10:54
EGTF, United Kingdom

I‘ve saved mine fine without the hyphen so that alone is not the issue. As mentioned, suggest setting up in advance & report error with screenshot.

LSZK, Switzerland

Unrelated to the above, is anyone familiar with the GAR procedures for non-EU citizens that require a visa to enter the UK?

The guidance says:

Those who require permission to enter must receive notification of this permission to enter the UK prior to disembarking the aircraft in the UK. Permission may be
granted remotely (without seeing a Border Force Officer) via email, or telephone. If you have not been contacted by Border Force, or are unsure you or any person onboard require permission, you should contact your Fixed Based Operator or the airfield operator, who will provide the details of the responsible Border Force Office for you to contact.
Failure to obtain permission to enter the UK may result in you entering the UK illegally and being subject to enforcement action. Additionally, if those on board require permission to enter the UK, the agent or owner of the aircraft could be charged £2000 for each inadequately documented person carried on the aircraft (bold in original).

Presumably permission is required because the visa / biometric residency card (if applicable) will need be checked. But doesn’t everyone (other than UK/Irish citizens and those with indefinite leave to remain) need “permission” to enter, even EU citizens (who, if they are tourists, wouldn’t ordinarily be entering on a visa), and there’s no special procedure for them, as far as I am aware? So perhaps this doesn’t fall into this category.

I don’t think general visitors / tourists necessarily need a passport stamp on arrival/departure, but some categories of visitor do (work/study). I recall from an earlier post that this form might be required – does one submit it with the GAR, with the same notice period? The UK sGAR website allows the uploading of supporting documentation. But the form does say that it will not be considered by Border Force until the applicant has arrived. Seems potentially risky to call BF on arrival and ask for permission, in case it is refused or there’s a long delay waiting for Border Force to come to the airfield. Might be best to use somewhere that has a Border Force presence, such as Biggin or Southend, for these purposes, but it doesn’t seem like this is how it has to be done. Does anyone have some actual experience?

I’m not aware of any different procedures for entering the Schengen area. The person will hold a valid Schengen visa for tourism.

EGTF, United Kingdom

Ibra posted a Remote Immigration Clearance for the United Kingdom form earlier, and I seem to recall Noe saying that non-EU passports would guarantee a phonecall from Border Force

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Before the recent GAR rule changes, it was, IIRC, simply that the 4hr PN became 24hr, both in and out. So same as e.g. Switzerland always was, for UK flights.

I don’t know what it is today, but quite likely the same.

Administrator

I don’t think general visitors / tourists necessarily need a passport stamp on arrival/departure, but some categories of visitor do (work/study)

I think when flying with pax who are non CTA/EU citizens or without ILR, border force needs to give them some clerance to enter UK by phone or by email, even when they physically turn up they don’t have ink in the stamps

I was told by UKBF to submit GAR24h in advance with that remote clearance filled in before departure from UK (for day trips) or France (inbound only), this is not in thr GAR guidance but apparently it saves lot of back and forth on this on Sunday afternoon (they are unlikely have to turn up at all ) but I gather your passenger need to document every in/out trips? so it’s important to get everything the right way and save that email for further reference

Also, there is no need to land in the likes of Biggin, Cardiff, Southend…

I am not aware this “entry clerance” or “permission” now applies to EU citizens since Jan2021? crew only flight will have exemption but non-CTA passengers will need something of that sort, however, I fly regularly with French passport holders only (not CTA citizens) and I have never been asked to fill anything other than GAR even few hours before departure

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 Aug 21:43
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Thanks, Ibra. Yes, I understand its important for people in this situation to be able to document when they entered and left the UK. Will report back how it goes when I try it.

EGTF, United Kingdom

This is interesting. Another way to submit a UK GAR form.

Administrator

This is not really “UK” but the Channel Islands are a moving target with their GAR, and I’ve just got this

Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 09:29:11 +0000
Dear Sir -
Following the changes as a result of Brexit, we have had to update our Gendec form (particularly as it pertains to Immigration Clearance).
Please could I ask that you use the form available at the following link (in the ‘downloads’ section)
https://gov.gg/Generalaviationpolicy
and destroy any hard copy or digital forms that you may have
Kind Regards,
Glenn Ashworth
Higher Executive Officer
Borders Enforcement

Curiously the form on that page is dated 2021 but as those who came to our Alderney meet-up the other week can confirm, time moves a lot slower there.

Guernsey_Alderney_General_Aviation_Report_2021_pdf

Administrator
Sign in to add your message