Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK IMC Flight on Airways

One of the most useful privileges of the IR is the ability to fly an approach. No need to search for Visual Reporting Points or fly a circuit in dodgy weather

That's true, but one can argue that the EIR gives you what you are going to be doing (as a plain PPL) under VFR but with the arbitrary airspace limitations removed.

That's why I think the EIR is a good thing.

The powers to be will just need to find a way to make it all hang together at the two ends...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I thought the EIR was a good idea but I am starting to reconsider... I think something like the IMCr brought into line with the French IR status would be good. My reasons are that you can use the IMCr as a full IR in places like Scotland, ok, but it is aimed a recreational pilot which is a real bonus.

The issue as I see it is highlighted as today.... I am near Stuttgart based at the moment, so can't currently use my IMCr, but if I could then today would be an easy day flying...

Let me explain, the cloud base at my home base is showing 1100 at the moment, that puts it at 2600MSL, in a region where the MSA is 3200. I can fly VFR, done it loads of times in the UK 1000 feet scud run the clouds... So VFR no problem... I could even fly with the IMCr because I could use ILS to get me back down... But what do I do under EIR.

For me today is highlighting a VFR-able day, but the weather is "too bad" to fly under IFR with an EIR... I think without approach privileges it does have severe limitations... Maybe offer at least 1 type to get below MSA into VMC.

EDHS, Germany

Maybe this isn't such a bad idea - will have to try it next time I'm in Scotland.

I'm not sure the EIR+IMC does equal a full IR - what abut flying SID/STARs in class A, would you be doing this on your EIR or your IMC? Granted, you rarely actually fly the full procedures, but could you even accept a clearance? The EIR explicitly excludes SID/STAR privileges (I think), and the IMC obviously wouldn't cover you in class A.

In practice of course, flying into Biggin you could file to leave airways at eg. Detling, and request a handover to Thames Radar who would give you vectors to the ILS. Just a little more work on the radio than a normal IFR arrival.

If it does come to equal a full IR in the UK, I wonder if that makes the EIR even more politically vulnerable.

EGEO

Yes; there are some really bizzare interactions of SID/STAR design and IMCR rating privileges

I think that if we get the EIR as currently proposed, it will be a de facto full IR at the UK end, because the only bit where you would be illegal is the bit of the SID/STAR which lies in Class A, but nobody is going to be in a position to care about that, for the brief time you are going to spend on that bit.

Unless going to Heathrow (Class A all the way to ground) which you are not going to anyway (SEPs are banned).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I can't see the big deal about class A. If you let people in class C, why are they any less capable in class A?

EGTK Oxford

An IMC rating does not entitle the holder to fly in A, B or C airspace in circumstances which require compliance with IFR! ANO Schedule 7

It appears recent changes to the ANO have left a few gaps; for example the privileges of the IMC are written only to reflect a UK National Licence privileges all reference to JAA licences have been removed and the privileges of the new IR(R) are not defined anywhere!

OK clearly I don't understand it. But the EIR is meant to allow all except class A?

EGTK Oxford

An IMC rating does not entitle the holder to fly in A, B or C airspace in circumstances which require compliance with IFR! ANO Schedule 7

True, but there is no Class B or C in the UK so effectively it is only Class A that IMCR holders are prevented from flying IFR in....although there is SVFR in Class A CTRs which allows non instrument rated (or non IMC rated) pilots to fly in Channel Islands airspace....in the same way that SVFR was required to permit non IR pilots to fly at night in CAS (no longer the case with the advent of Night VFR in the UK)....all of which I know you know!

And Jason, the EIR will allow the holder to fly IFR enroute in all airspace...in the same way a PIFR works in Australia...the difference being that there is no option in EASA land to add approach and departure privileges.....but if you have an IMCR you CAN fly approaches under the IFR but NOT in Class A.....all of which you may possibly already know!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Peter wrote:

I am in favour of the EIR for example but the case of the EIR-only pilot is likely to cause havoc with IFR ATC because where they are expecting a normal arriving pilot to seamlessly transition from enroute to arrival to approach procedures, they will now be faced with a pilot who is not allowed to fly a STAR (not even in VMC, and not even a Visual Approach because that's IFR as well) and who will be cancelling IFR before exhausting his enroute section.

I don't understand why the (non IR) pilot is not allowed to fly the approach in VMC - if he is allowed to enter (let's say Class D or even G - like Cranfield) airpsace. I have flown in prisitne VMC a few "training" STARs (the clearence was explicit "...while maintatining VMC..." it was blue sky day though...) before holding an IR and no one considered it a problem - I'm positive that I would be rejected this and routed low VFR if there would be any IFR arrivals at the time - so what is the reason for the IMCR pilot in VMC being illegal on a STAR?

I think Peter was referring to the case where the STAR commences in Class A airspace...thus requiring an IR....IMCR not able to fly IFR (or VFR/SVFR) in Class A CTA and EIR not able to fly a STAR

YPJT, United Arab Emirates
Sign in to add your message