Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bob Hoover RIP

http://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2016/10/bob-hoover-one-of-nations-greatest-pilots-dead-at-94/

Saw him in his Aero Commander back in 1966 in Abbotsford, still remember it.

Adam may have to reprise the iced tea pouring barrel roll in his Twin Commander.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

An amazing character and wonderful pilot.

RobertL18C wrote:

Adam may have to reprise the iced tea pouring barrel roll in his Twin Commander.

Can that be done inside the maintenance hangar?

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

Everything you see in Star Wars was done inside a maintenance hangar – so why not this Bob Hoover had the piston version of this plane anyway.
Unfortunately, I never saw his performance myself.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Sad, but then again, we’ll all fly West one day….. RIP.

JasonC wrote:

Sure:

EKRK, Denmark

A true legend….

I love his escape in a FW190…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Saw Bob perform quite a few times in the Shrike at was still simply called Oshkosh, last century that is. Spectacular OEO rolls both sides to the dead stick routine, utmost precision. Yep, a true great aviator.

Also finally got to finish the read of his book Forever Flying: Fifty Years of High-flying Adventures, from Barnstorming in Prop Planes to Dogfighting Germans to Testing Supersonic Jets : an Autobiography.
No doubt a fascinating story and career, gripping stories, near death encounters, what a life. Unfortunately parts of the book are marred by what I’d call a certain lack of modesty… still, a legendary pilot of a now bygone era, salute.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message