Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Possibility of a large co-ownership

Historically there was a 20 limit (defined as min holding being 5%) and beyond that you needed Public Transport maintenance which cost more £££. But I think that is finished now. I know of a couple of 25-30 members.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I know of a couple of 25-30 members.

That’s what we would call an aeroclub in France. There must be some which are even smaller.

And come to think of it, if you buy 1/30th of a plane or you pay a new members’ entrance fee and monthly dues doesn’t really make a great difference. Is it just that Brits like to own the plane they fly and French prefer to be in a club, or is there another reason for such large owners’ groups? I’ve never heard of similar setups in any other European country.

We are digressing here but, from what I have heard over the years, the French “clubs” are flight training operations, where the flight training income subsidises the long standing members’ flying costs.

Whereas a UK syndicate of say 30 around a PA28 won’t be doing flight training. They can’t anyway; you need to be an ATO. The most they can do is let somebody get their license revalidated, or maybe do an IMC Rating. Many UK ATOs call themselves “clubs” but they aren’t clubs in any sense.

Also southern Europe is known for tax concessions to “sporting” organisations.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

the French “clubs” are flight training operations, where the flight training income subsidises the long standing members’ flying costs.

That is bollocks.

Flight training is important for maintaining the membership levels constant or grow them hence ensuring that fixed cost can be spread over many contributors. Aeroclubs also provide flight training at relatively low cost because they are not-for-profit organisations with little overhead and a partly volunteer flight instructors.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 04 Nov 22:53
LFPT, LFPN
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message