Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How many hours to fly a jet? (mostly the Cirrus jet)

ortac wrote:

Not sure I really agree with the premise of the original question, as I don’t think “hours” is that relevant. What is important is:

1) Reasonable intellect and general flying ability.
2) Willingness to study the systems theory to really know the aircraft.
3) The right attitude, and specifically the willingness to train thoroughly and seek support and advice and prepare properly.

Finally, I don’t see the speed as a big factor. It’s not THAT fast, and as Mooney Driver says you can easily slow it down in the terminal area. I think altitude/pressurisation/weather is the bigger challenge.

I wouldn’t disagree. Speed control is less about slowing down from cruise (the classic PA28 to Mooney problem) but more about accuracy of speed control needed on final. Going too slow or too fast can get bad very quickly.

The key for SP jet safety (and they have to date been very safe compared to the rest of GA) is the type rating system with annual recurrent check rides. The robustness of that will be key to long term safety in these aircraft.

You will see them in Europe as N-reg soon I expect.

Last Edited by JasonC at 08 Jan 14:43
EGTK Oxford

@jasonC

I totally agree with you regarding speed management. I remember flying the Embraer Phenom 100 for the first time and that was struck me most: A jet is nothing like a single engine turbine. Flying the TBM, you can be at 3.5M from touchdown at 250 KTS and land at 80 KTS (I am not suggesting this being the right way to approach a field) and there is just no way to do this with a Jet. A long stabilised approach is required so in that sense, the TBM is much easier to fly. When looking at single pilot operations and certification, the Phenom 300 would be very nice but I don’t know of one that is operated by a single owner pilot.

There is definitely a learning curve to move up from a single engine piston to a turbine to a jet. Not only from piloting skills but also weather, procedures, etc.

Sitting on a C152 for the first 100 hours is part of that learning process in my view.

Cheers,

David

EGKB LFQQ EBAW
42 Posts
Sign in to add your message