Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Poor Approach Vectoring (vectored above glideslope)

I posted these previously, but they fit rather well here again:

GNS430:

G1000: (it’s mind-boggling; the way these will behave will actually depend on the software loaded into the unit….):

Many more rather good videos on that channel….
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCnibjI0gK_XMDrD5pzyTV0w

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

G1000: (it’s mind-boggling; the way these will behave will actually depend on the software loaded into the unit….):

Well they identified a problem and corrected it. The biggest problem is that the manufacturers own the software releases in G1000. Much better in GTNs as you don’t have to wait for Piper to approve the release, just EASA!

Last Edited by JasonC at 10 Oct 17:43
EGTK Oxford

I just watched the first (GNS430) video which is consistent with other advice I have seen on the subject, and that I follow.

I just got back to from a training flight during which I received vectors to final for RNAV 23 at LFPT. I activated the last leg before FAF when cleared to intercept. That does not give me a very long course vector, but I do not need it. The most important thing is that it provides me with the distance to the FAF, sets the CRS on my HSI and shows lateral offset (CDI) for the intercept.

LFPT, LFPN

If you activate VTF you get the FAF as well. There is then the benefit that if you are vectored on before the IF, you have an extended centreline.

Each to his own. There is no right answer.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Because nobody wanted to explain the difference to me (;-)) I tested it today:

GNS430/W

DCT-DCT-ENT: activates the leg between the selected and the previous waypoint in the list and the airplane intecepts that leg
DCT-ENT-ENT: flies directly to the selected waypoint.

Simple, yes, when you know it … I didn’t. All I ever used was DIRECT to selected wp.

Last Edited by at 11 Oct 19:08

I think that you’ll find that that explanation is made several times above, including in the video.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Well, I didn’t understand your explanation first, when i tried it it became clear. Nevermind.

Alexis wrote:

DCT-DCT-ENT: activates the leg between the selected and the previous waypoint in the list and the airplane intecepts that leg

I imagine it’s the same on G1000. Didn’t know about that one, I’d use “activate leg” with the menu key. Thanks!

I flown with the GNS430 since 2000 and have GNS430Ws now… and while I did see the feature and knew how to access it through the menu I did not know about the shortcut.

I imagine it’s the same on G1000

It’s not. At least not with the SW versions I’ve been using.

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message