Banner
Welcome to our forums

Twins - engine failure / EFATO (merged)

there’s no regulatory requirement to include ASDA tables

There is in the USA

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

There is in the USA

Is there? I’m not arguing against the practice which I personally think should be mandatory for any aircraft that can operate commercially, but my understanding was that the requirement only applied to level 1-3 high-speed multiengine aircraft (Vmo >=250kts) and all level 4 multiengine aircraft (10-19 passengers).

CFR 23.2115(c) refers.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

A recent POH, for example Seneca V, will have as a preamble to Section 5 Performance, This section contains the required(my bold) information required by the FAA applicable to this aircraft. Section 5 goes on to publish ASDA charts, unfactored.

The FAA training manuals confirm that for Part 91 purposes ASDA calculation is not required, but is regarded as good airmanship. In my experience all US training organisations will require ASDA calculation.

Why ASDA is neglected in Europe for MEPs is less clear, perhaps because the answer can be unhelpful for operating on runways of less than around 1300 metres.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Well, if that is the case, either Piper haven’t read the CFRs or you’ve found the world’s fastest Seneca.

Note: there’s a preamble which defines low/high-speed and aircraft ‘levels’

Anyway, we digress as we both think that the data should be there.

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 28 Apr 19:14
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

AdamFrisch wrote:

We’re all be safer fore it and we will all spend less money. Everyone wins.

I bet we won’t pay less. If we take computers for an analogy: you spend the same, but you get more. My first computer 30 years ago had something like 1/1000 to 1/10000 of raw computing power compared to my actual outfit.mPrices are similar. While a Raspberry pi for 30€ suffices to produce something you get the Nobel price for or that makes you a millionaire, you don’t get that offered on the mainstream market.

Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

If there is no ASDA table/graph, adding the take-off ground run and the landing ground run should be close enough when applying a safet factor.

Biggin Hill

Something I got very dissappointed about, along with the level of technology of our old avgas engine, is the fact that big plane makers didn’t create any computer database or application to give the performance of the day… that could be dead simple for them now with simple android or Apple écosystèm to compute it along with briefing.
Now we se that nav apps are partially doing the job, but still for light twin, that could be a safe thing to do.
A simple app where you fille load sheet in, plus runways for departure and arrival (airport code then runway), ans it could give speeds, 1 and 2 engine performances….

Last Edited by greg_mp at 29 Apr 06:21
LFMD, France
big plane makers didn’t create any computer database or application to give the performance of the day

Generally, airplane manuafacturer’s provide decent performance charts for their aircraft, though I agree that some smaller planes from the 1940/s and ’50’s are lacking. Most engine manufacturers do provide good engine performance charts which you may use to determine power produced in any atmospheric condition. Page 3-27 of this manual is an example.

https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/O-HO-IO-HIO-AIO%20%26%20TIO-360%20Oper%20Manual%2060297-12.pdf

greg_mp wrote:

As for computer based applications for this information, I wonder if the manufacturers have enough [any] demand for it? I think that most pilots out for a leisurely cross country flight are not working out the details of engine performance to that degree of precision. If they are, the performance tables are available from the engine manufacturer, if not the airplane manufacturer.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

In an idle moment, I just checked in the sim that you can do a full aerobatic sequence (rolls, loops, barrel rolls) in a Chieftain OEI.

You need extra time to get your energy/altitude back between manoeuvres, but otherwise there is no difficulty with a reasonably extended sequence (indeed one could go on indefinitely.)

The remaining engine seems to be able to do a little more than “take you to the scene of the crash”

Just sayin’

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

The remaining engine seems to be able to do a little more than “take you to the scene of the crash”

That has been illustrated already by Bob Hoover with height/speed caveat
In practice, it will be as difficult as doing aeros with flaps/gear extended in a SEP while staying inside the envelop…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message