Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Uncoordinated airliners

No, in part because I don’t have an iPhone. But it’s an idea. I’ll perhaps see whether I can find a spare slip indicator for my next flight!

kwlf wrote:

My first thought is that the radius of the turns should be far too large for it to make a difference… In which case why should the back seat of a pa28 be less comfortable?

A turn is a rotation around pitch and yaw in an aircraft. At some point you have to start those two rotations, and that “feels” very different in the front than in the back. A plane rotates around it’s CG. When initiating a left turn, people in the front are accelerated to the left and up. People in the back are accelerated to the right and down. This has nothing to do with the turn rate, but is dependent how fast that turn rate is initiated. Maybe this is what you feel?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Now THAT is interesting! I always wondered why the turn initiation in an airliner feels a bit weird, but once in the turn it is just “normal”, By “up”, you mean “up” relative to the aircraft?

So what we feel is the aircraft’s angular momentum changing, and once the turn is etablishes that is stable —> feeling gone.

Thanks!!

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

By “up”, you mean “up” relative to the aircraft?

Yes.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message