Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

French/English radiotelephony phrases

In case this is of use to anyone, I've compiled a summary of (VFR) French/Engl. phraseology, available here

My notes are based on the comprehensive 'Manuel de Formation à la Phraséologie', published by SIA and available for download in several parts here

Bonne lecture!

Bordeaux

Very useful, thanks. Could I ask you to include English text in the explanatory paragraphs too? EG: Dès que la lisibilité des transmissions n'est pas satisfaisante et/ou en cas d'ambiguité, les nombres sont transmis par énonciation de chacun des chiffres qui les composent.

I realise Google can do it for me but as a reference it's more useful to have everything I need on the same page.

Merci!

Forever learning
EGTB

As an addition, this site has save-able quicktimes of the spoken phrases:

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Thanks JoJo, very helpful, even for a fluent French speaker!

I have done a - much less comprehensive - glossary of Spanish phrases a while ago, if someone (Peter?) can tell me how to post this here I'll add it to the info database.

PS: stik, no need for Google, the phrase means: if the transmission is of bad quality or ambiguous, numbers shall be transmitted by speaking them separately (e.g. one-niner instead of nineteen - my example). HTH.

If you email it to me, I will put it up on the site.

Otherwise, if you can upload it somewhere, you can link to it yourself - as with images etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

OK, I'll dig it up and email it to you.

The Spanish PDF is now here.

Many thanks!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My pleasure. I wrote this originally for non-Spanish students of a big FTO in Malaga and the phraseology is what's used at Spanish GA fields.

To keep th info together, here's the link to the phraseology again.

A couple of more notes regarding flying in Spain:

ATC at bigger airports and en-route is done in English (of VERY varying quality), but the Spanish - like the French - have the nasty habit of speaking Spanish on the radio, no matter if it's an IB 747 or a PA28. These phrases hence are useful also for situational awareness flying into some of the international airports.

Position reports (VRPs) by local pilots are quite often not done to the published VRPs' name, but in plain language with reference to a ground feature (same position, different name). It is a good idea to have a close look at the charts beforehand. An example is the LEMG EP3 VRP which is referred to as Torre del Mar. Why? Simple - it sits at that little coastal town. Also, if en-route ATC asks for a position, they normally want it in the format xx miles on yy radial from zz VOR.

Flight plans are mandatory for any flight in CAS, which is pretty much all of Spain. That said, transits are almost never a problem, especially if you sound reasonably professional (shouldn't be a problem for the esteemed flyers on this forum!), just don't do the UK PPL thing of telling the controller - and the world - your life story, including the size of the knickers of your grandma.

Contrary to many places, a VFR flight plan actually DOES go into the system, so the next controller will expect you, much like flight following in the US. Radar coverage generally is very good, except in parts of the south due to mountainous terrain. Usually the controller will alert you when he/she sees you will be entering one of those blind spots.

Schengen flights can depart/arrive at any airfield, no 'port of entry' required. However, flights to Morocco and Gibraltar DO require a port of entry.

Avgas is generally no problem, although at some airports you get charged extra for the bowser to drive to you. Perhaps no big deal if topping off with a few hundred liters, not so great if you only want 20 a side! Also, some of the smaller fields only take cash.

Buen vuelo !

Please would someone give the French if you are planning an IFR procedure with a missed approach, so whichever of “for low approach and go around” or “for the missed approach” would be best understood by VFR pilots in the circuit?

I know “en remise de gaz”, it’s a question of telling people it’s planned and going to happen, rather than that it has happened.

Thank you!

EGKB Biggin Hill

I’d keep it simple and announce “pour une remise des gaz”.

Alternatively, you can announce “pour une option” , which is what it says – an option to land or go-around at your discretion.

Bordeaux
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message