Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Landing an airliner at a GA airfield

This has of course happened in films but has it happened in reality?

For example I spoke to an A320 pilot who said one could definitely land one at Shoreham EGKA

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ryanair SOP, no?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Shoreham’s landing fees are too high for Ryanair…..

EGTK Oxford

Ryanair SOP, no?

Not quite, doesn’t it need to change its name to ‘Edinburgh Suburburban International’ before Ryanair would fly there

EDHS, Germany

JasonC wrote:

Shoreham’s landing fees are too high for Ryanair…..

Where is the LIKE button ! LOL !!

L I K E
------------------------------

Does that work?

Yes, I’m bored at Mainz waiting for europaxs, who got delayed due to TSRA on departure….

EDHS, Germany

There’s been at least one Boeing 737 that has landed on an unprepared grass surface (a levee, IIRC) and taken off from there again. I think it had suffered a double engine failure after hail ingestion (that’s why it landed there in the first place).

Andreas IOM

A few come to my home field (LFDH) as there is a company that fits them out for the luxury market. The runway was lengthened specially, but I have heard that the pilots are not comfortable using it. This 757 must have flown in and flown out.
Simon

@italianjohn – thanks! You – and all others! – while bored you can watch a pretty amazing precision landing here:

Info for RAND / FAGM airport here: http://www.randairport.co.za/information/

There’s also a longer version of the same landing here:

Last Edited by 172driver at 28 Jun 16:04

Happens quite regularly at EGBP Kemble, as there is an aircraft destruction facility there, so old airliners come there to die. For example:

747 last year:

a350:

EGBJ and Firs Farm, United Kingdom
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message