Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mandatory PBN training (merged)

Well said.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

huv wrote:

According to Julian Scarfe & his crew the keyword is management. See page 28 in their excellent PBN manual:

I think you mean PPL/IR.

I actually think it depends. If you come from IFR flying where you tune the ILS on the nav radio and then just fly the DGI using the CDI all the way around the procedure than yes a GPS approach is different. Many pilots now are experienced with loading an ILS or NDB approach on the 430/650 or whatever. Then it is similar.

I agree though that flying a GPS approach/arrival/departure involves more of an FMS operation than a terrestrial procedure. I just think the CAA way of documenting everything right now is a pain and unnecesary. Why not just make it a simple logbook endorsement?

EGTK Oxford

That’s what Germany did.

huv wrote:

Traditional Procedures: Execution is demanding; Management is easy

Hmm… just yesterday I once again forgot to set the CRS pointer for an ILS on time and was wondering where my localizer was. Can’t happen with an RNAV approach. I find them much easier to setup. Also ILS etc. always depend on another unrelated navaid for cross checks, RNAV does not.

huv wrote:

RAIM availability checked

That only applies to very old equipment. EGNOS obsoleted RAIM.

Just did my PBN course: 1 day theory training (1/2 on GPS, EGNOS etc; 1/2 on PBN incl approaches), followed by 3 hours in a sim doing 5 approaches, SIDs, STARs.
Now still a check to do during the IR annual check.

500 euro with NewCAG in Belgium (other ATOs offer it now). Obligation if you want to fly PBN courses or approaches now. If not done by 2020, you wont have an IR anymore.

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

Niner_Mike wrote:

Just did my PBN course: 1 day theory training (1/2 on GPS, EGNOS etc; 1/2 on PBN incl approaches), followed by 3 hours in a sim doing 5 approaches, SIDs, STARs.
Now still a check to do during the IR annual check.

500 euro with NewCAG in Belgium (other ATOs offer it now). Obligation if you want to fly PBN courses or approaches now. If not done by 2020, you wont have an IR anymore.

Ah Europe. Never found a simple thing it couldn’t turn into a two day process.

EGTK Oxford

Well, it does seem that the UK CAA GA Unit has done us an enormous favour compared to some of our EASA friends.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I understand Switzerland is similar to Belgium.

the result of the process will be a logbook endorsement

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

I think a rating revalidation in the licence in our case.

EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message