Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Islanders taken by surprise by plane landing on Cumbrae

I nearly missed this nice story in a local Scottish newspaper.

Good airmanship from a Cub driver and suitably low-key assistance from local people who filled him with hot coffee and blocked a road for him to depart when the shower had passed. Even the photographer respected his privacy.

Have a nice weekend, and keep the rubber side down.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Thank you for the link – if only more people added precautionary landings to their skill set when weather, or mechanical issues meant the safe outcome of the flight was in doubt.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Yes – I always keep the idea of a precautionary landing in a suitable field in my mind in case I get stuck in a situation like this. Having a low touchdown speed makes it a bit easier of course.

Andreas IOM

I’m impressed that the police showed such common sense, no doubt the Germans flying thought that they’d be in for a bit of a bollocking when Plod turns up. In any case, maybe the pilot chose to carry out a precautionary landing on a road, especially if he’d been aware of what happened with this Jodel

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 25 Aug 17:26
EDL*, Germany

From the pic, a very narrow road. A low wing wouldn’t have succeeded. Not much space vertically between the wing and the fence. A very difficult landing in rain. The tundra wheels/tyres wouldn’t make it easier.
Very impressed.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Nice story! Really impressed by how this was handled by all parties involved. The locals and the police won’t be as relaxed and helpful everywhere I’m afraid.

Steve6443 wrote:

In any case, maybe the pilot chose to carry out a precautionary landing on a road, especially if he’d been aware of what happened with this Jodel

Woah, quite a story as well. Would have been illegal under German law, which forces landowners to let pilots fly their aircraft out after precautionary landings.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

It is illegal in Britain, too, but it is a civil, not a criminal matter, so enforcing the law is difficult.

Biggin Hill

The tundra wheels/tyres wouldn’t make it easier. Very impressed.

Once you get used to Alaskan Bushwheels, they do make every landing easier. Those twelve inches of supple radial-ply sidewall are very forgiving.

Still, as I should have remarked in my OP, a very courteous Cub driver for pulling over to park on the side of the road, so that farmers and their collies could get past on their quad bikes, even though (being a foreigner and perhaps a bit distracted) he chose the wrong side.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Cool story and great to see that the community helped out.

ESSZ, Sweden
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message