Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR/VFR Transition in Europe

Peter wrote:

Oxford is one exception AFAIK

At Oxford you never get a clearance on the ground into CAS. Oxford RADAR can clear you in when they have coordinated once airborne. But sometimes London don’t pick up the phone and you are told to remain outside.

EGTK Oxford

At Oxford you never get a clearance on the ground into CAS

I clearly recall you telling me the exact opposite some years ago, so I looked for it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I clearly recall you telling me the exact opposite some years ago, so I looked for it

Always in the air. Tower only do it if RADAR is closed.

Last Edited by JasonC at 12 Jan 22:54
EGTK Oxford

For Czech Republic: B-RNAV required.
If flying Z from an uncontrolled airfield within Prague CTA (which covers most of the country, the other two CTAs – Brno and Ostrava – are quite small), call +420 220 374 393 before departure to coordinate the IFR transition. On bigger uncontrolled airfields like LKHK, AFIS will do it for you. Once airborne and above MRVA, call FIS/ATC and request IFR transition.
If flying Y to an uncontrolled airfield, the furthest you can proceed under IFR is MRVA directly overhead the destination (they may let you a bit lower, but it’s not guaranteed).
For more details, see AIP ENR 1.1.1.3.1.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Thread renamed from “Italy & Austria” to “Europe”.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Upon departure OCAS, I don’t know if there is anywhere in Europe – apart from the UK – where you can enter IMC before getting the IFR clearance.
All of Scandinavia. Finland. France. We have been over this again and again…. It is expressly permitted by SERA and the only way a country can prevent it is by having the base of controlled airspace below the minimum obstacle-free IFR level.
In most cases you cannot even enter CAS.
In most cases? Of course you can never do that. That’s a fundamental property of controlled airspace (for IFR flights).

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

the only way a country can prevent it is by having the base of controlled airspace below the minimum obstacle-free IFR level.

Or by having Class E in the “right” place – that is prohibited for IMC without an IFR clearance. Much of France has that.

That’s a fundamental property of controlled airspace (for IFR flights).

And VFR flights too

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Or by having Class E in the “right” place – that is prohibited for IMC without an IFR clearance. Much of France has that.
Class E is controlled airspace.
That’s a fundamental property of controlled airspace (for IFR flights).
And VFR flights too
No. Class E is controlled airspace, but you don’t need a clearance for VFR.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

While there is a lot of valuable information here, what will be really useful is more postings like Snoopy’s and Ultranomad’s, ie postings of quite full descriptions how it works in territory very familiar to the poster.

The list is now:

Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bulgaria
Croatia
Estonia
Finland
Hungary
Iceland
Kosovo
Latvia
Lithuania
Moldova
Montenegro
Portugal
Romania
Serbia
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Turkey
Ukraine

EGKB Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

Obviously you need a clearance to enter CAS

Suggest to add “in IMC”. Clearance is not required in Class E per se. You just need CAS VMC. Some countries require radio contact, some not. I think per ICAO rules, radio contact is not necessary.

Last Edited by chflyer at 19 Jan 23:10
LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message