Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ice repellent / anti ice paints

There might have been a thread on here recently about some kind of anti-icing liquid, but unless it is approved, you just have to be careful to avoid visible moisture in minus temperatures. If you do plan to outclimb it, you need to have a point at which you are prepared to stop, and also be able to descend into clearer warmer air about the minimum safety altitude.

My PA28 has no icing protection either, and in terms of liquid, I do use the TKS fluid to de-ice the wings on the ground, let it soak in, and hope it is easier to brush away. But I wouldnt expect it to give me any extra protection once airborne. You just has to accept the limitations or find the money to buy something with FIKI or at least a de-iced prop. Unless you have such aircraft, there is always a compromise on speed, altitude, comfort, range, electronic aids, and de-icing.

How far is the test?

EDAZ

Not far at all… I need to meet up with mdoerr to collect a bit of his stuff. Last trip was cancelled due to wx

Maybe this week…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This is what it looks like after spraying in on, in accordance with the instructions

Clearly you don’t just want to spray your whole plane with it

Last Edited by Peter at 03 Dec 18:13
Administrator

Now go for ice and take pictures, really exiting

EDAZ

The guy who is doing these tests lives in southern Europe and it is a little too warm down there at the moment

Administrator

Oh it is not your plane :-( keep us informed with the projekt

EDAZ

Interesting article in The Economist today here (you may have to register)

I’m sceptical. Most products work well on ‘standing’ droplets, but a moving drop gets deformed on impact.
There is a difference between ice on the ground and in flight.

> The guy who is doing these tests lives in southern Europe

This is no excuse, your friend needs to fly higher to find ice. A turbo would help.

Last Edited by mdoerr at 05 Dec 15:48
United Kingdom

The stuff doesn’t work at all.

In fairly average icing conditions, -4C, in a CU cloud, this ice was collected in about 1 minute with a combination of SLD and fine freezing rain

Obviously the test was done in safe conditions, with surface temp of +6C, because at this rate of ice accretion (common in convective cloud) any non-deiced aircraft would be unflyable not many minutes later.

Above the red tape is the non-treated surface (the icing stops where the warm fuel tank starts). Below the tape is the treated surface

The coating degrades just through normal VMC flight however – here is the condition of it before the test

Funnily enough the ice took a lot longer to thaw/sublimate from the treated surface.

On the ground, it repels water beautifully

Last Edited by Peter at 19 Dec 17:42
Administrator
Sign in to add your message