Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Free trade?? (also: ugly aeroplanes)

alioth wrote:

To be fair every other airliner of the era made an ungodly racket.

Well, yes, but there was a delightful irony.

In the late 80s and early 90s I flew an HS125-600, with pure jets. Of all the aircraft using Heathrow at the time, it was second only to Concorde in the noise it made.

But, because it was less that 25T, we were able to operate throughout the night, unlike the big, quiet, fan-powered airliners which were banned midnight to 5am for noise reasons.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

But, because it was less that 25T, we were able to operate throughout the night, unlike the big, quiet, fan-powered airliners which were banned midnight to 5am for noise reasons.

We still have a similar regulation at my homebase. Not jets between 11PM to 6AM, but propeller driven aircraft 24/7. Whoever made this rule has never heard a fully loaded Metroliner taking 10 minutes at full power to climb to 10.000ft. A CitationJet on the other hand will be at 4000ft at the end of the runway with reduced power.

EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

But with the difference that the other manufacturers did not call their products “whisper jets

I don’t think Vickers ever called it that (and BAe never called the 146 the whisper jet either – that was the press) – it was probably the press that called it that if anyone even did (I can’t find any reference to the VC-10 being called a “whisper jet” or “whispering jet” by Vickers themselves)

Last Edited by alioth at 28 Sep 13:32
Andreas IOM

I rather think that it was BOAC. But I was only 7 when it came into passenger service, so my memory is not that good!

EGKB Biggin Hill
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message