Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

"French for aviation course"

Dear all,

As the weather closes in for another year, I will be organising a couple more “French for Aviation” courses in the coming months (subject to interest).

As with the previous editions, the course will run over a weekend at a UK airfield.

I am currently looking at a course on 7/8 January 2017 in Lee on Solent. The following one will take place in the London area.

What’s included
1) 12 hours of training, including:
-French radio calls for uncontrolled airfields
-French radio calls for non-English AFIS airfields
-French navigation procedures
2) Lunch each day
3) Tea, coffee, cake, and general good humour

What’s not included
Accommodation (local hotels can be recommended)

About the course tutors
The course is taught by myself (professional interpreter and French PPL holder) and a French flight instructor.

For prices and full course details, please drop me a PM, or contact me by email at [email protected]

LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)

You have mail.

Howard

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

@Bordeaux_Jim: What level of French knowledge is required for the course to bring anything?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

This quote might help

Into the face of the young man … who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to speak French. The Luck of the Bodkins

From news on British Library and PG Wodehouse

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/nov/27/pg-wodehouse-archive-british-library-redemption-nazi-collaboration

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

A very basic knowledge of French is all that is needed (i.e. schoolboy style French).

The aims of the course are the following:

1. Be able to make basic French circuit calls at “FR Only”’ uncontrolled airfields, or at controlled airfields which are “FR only” when used out of hours.

2. Be able to correspond with “FR only” AFIS operators (of which there are a fairly large number)

3. Be able to understand position reports given in French at “FR Only” airfields, thus improving your situational awareness.

Obviously, using such airfields with zero knowledge of French would be foolish, and it is up to pilots to decide whether they feel confident enough to do so.

The phraseology taught is simplified and specifically designed for English teachers.

The course is designed in taught in such a way that those of varying levels of proficiency will get something out of it.

@Bordeaux_Jim: And how is it legally organized? I.e. if I take your course but don’t have French radio or LPC in my license, can I fly to FR only airports?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

And how is it legally organized? I.e. if I take your course but don’t have French radio or LPC in my license, can I fly to FR only airports?

That’s the million dollar question!

“FR only” refers only to the language to be used at the airfield in question. There is nothing in the regulations which says you need a French language proficiency qualification, which is good, because such a qualification does not exist, unless you hold a licence from a French-speaking country.

We do not issue any official aeronautical qualification, and this is made very clear from the outset. Pilots remain responsible for the safe conduct of their flights.

Hi

Sent you a mail. Would be interested in a London based course.

Regards
Dino

8 Posts
Sign in to add your message