Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fuel and lunch between Berlin and Perpignan?

I am planning to go from Berlin to Perpignan (LFMP), France – and see that I probably would like to have a pitstop somewhere in the middle to get fuel and lunch. Does anybody have any recommendations for an airport where it is reasonably easy to get in to, get something to eat and JET A1 fuel? Preferably IFR. I suppose somewhere in the corner where Germany, Switzerland and France meets.

Also on the same subject – we are spending two days in Berlin, and I see there are several alternatives for landing. For those familiar with the Berlin airports, do you recommend EDAY or EDAZ? I am after JET A1, and convenience getting into town.

ENKJ, ENGM, Norway

Luxembourg (ELLX) do 50% off the fees if just a stop, from what I remember?

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Aubenas is a nice stop, you have avgas ans a restaurant on the base, and if you’re lucky, you’ll see the dash 8 fire fighter training…It may be too much on the south for a direct route.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 27 Mar 14:24
LFMD, France

If it’s DA42 (guessing from your profile) then I would not make a break Berlin to Perpignan.

I have experience only with EDAY and I can recommend it because of cheap and frequent train connection to Berlin.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
If it’s DA42 (guessing from your profile) then I would not make a break Berlin to Perpignan.

I have experience only with EDAY and I can recommend it because of cheap and frequent train connection to Berlin.

It is indeed a DA42, and we can get all the way no problem. But it is likely to be 4h30m or more, and I find when flying with my familiy, including two kids, 3 hours is pretty much what they can stand being stuck in their seats…

Aubenas – is that LFJF? It might be a bit too far south. Would still be a 3h30m ride from Berlin. Luxembourg might be a cool stop, but a little off route. I’ll consider that on the return route going back to the nordics.

Regarding Berlin, it seems EDAY has better transport options to Berlin, and I’ve heard good things about it. But as far as I understand there are no customs and immigration, while you can arrange that at EDAZ. Coming from Norway (non-EU) I will either need another stop on the way, or a customs airport. Of course I can make a lunch stop in Denmark, but that will probably consume more time than whatever I win by a better commute in Berlin. But then again, we can make it a nice stop. Am I right in thinking that both airports are GA friendly and relatively smooth?

I understand EDDB Brandenburg is about €1000 in handling and airport charges. My friend landed there in a DA40 last year, but at that cost it is disqualified by me…

ENKJ, ENGM, Norway

Luxembourg has become “less welcoming” and “more expensive” and PPR for GA. The 50% off is (was?) for a fuel stop, which means your family ain’t getting off the plane for lunch.

Colmar LFGA has a good reputation. I went to Strasbourg LFST back in 2017, and it was no handling no hassle. Just show yourself out of the door (at the other side of the airport far away from commercials and … the waiting taxi row), and show licence (possibly to a camera, I might confuse with another French airport) to get back to airplane.

Last Edited by lionel at 27 Mar 17:22
ELLX

bogivara wrote:

But it is likely to be 4h30m or more, and I find when flying with my familiy, including two kids, 3 hours is pretty much what they can stand being stuck in their seats…

Mine used to sleep but you’re right – it’s better to make stop rather that have demanding situation in the cabin

bogivara wrote:

But as far as I understand there are no customs and immigration, while you can arrange that at EDAZ.

It can be arranged at EDAY as well – I flew few times there from Croatia and needed immigration.

EDDS is on your route. It shouldn’t be expensive – I remember it wasn’t in the past (IIRC below 30€ for landing) but I don’t know if there are any handling charges if you make just refueling/toilet stop.

Last Edited by Emir at 27 Mar 17:31
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

From personal experiece I’d suggest:

- EDAZ Schoenhagen for Berlin. They take you to the local train station by the airport minibus and it took us about 30 min to the center of Berlin. Immigration is 24h PPR by notam. Customs is PPR as well.

- LFGA Colmar for intermediate stop. Colmar medieval city is really a gem and recommended to visit…. say 20 min. to the center by local bus. The station is in front of the terminal.

Both airports had low landing fees and no compulsory handling (in 2021).

Last Edited by Destinatus at 28 Mar 08:54
Prague
Czech Republic

And you have restaurants within walking distance of LFGA.

LFOU, France

bogivara wrote:

Coming from Norway (non-EU) I will either need another stop on the way, or a customs airport.

Actually a new EU law means you no longer require customs. You self declare by flying over the border. Customs basically stopped operations at my home base EDAZ because of that.
BUT you still need immigration. That is currently PPR at EDAZ because of staff issues.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message