Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

G1000 - can one turn off GPS?

In G1000 avionics system is it possible, through the menu options, to deselect (switch off) the GPS?

Lin
Italy

The answer should be available in here:

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-00498-08_0A_Web.pdf

ELLX, Luxembourg

Unplug the antenna cable…

Potentially a very interesting question and I bet it will comprehensively break it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

IIRC and perhaps @Emir might confirm.
The G1000 on the DA42 has 2 GPS and each has it’s own circuit breaker.
So if you pull one of those you switch off the corresponding gps.

France

gallois wrote:

The G1000 on the DA42 has 2 GPS and each has it’s own circuit breaker.

The G1000 (don’t know about the G1000 NXi) has two integrated avionics units each including COM, NAV/ILS and GPS. They each have a COM and NAV circuit breaker. If you pull the NAV circuit breakers you’ll lose all radio navigation. Also, if you disable the GPS the AHRS will be more sensitive to failures.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

GPS1/NAV1 and GPS2/NAV2 CBs will turn off both GPS and NAV.

This is also a thing to be worried about:

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

COM1 and COM2 are separate CBs. And to answer properly OP’s question – IIRC GPS can be turned off within system configuration like any other device.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir,
Can you specify the page number in the G1000 manual where the procedure of turning off the GPS is detailed? Many thanks

Lin
Italy

Out of curiosity @Lin: why would you want to do that?

Yes, no problem, I’ll try to explain.
I fly G1000 with Cessna NAV III configuration. Many times I fly in areas with prolonged GPS blockade. Several times (in addition to the DR situation), it happened that the AHRS disappeared and started self reset (but no red X on the AHRS).
In normal situation you should still get a degraded AHRS, because Magnetic heading and barometric altitude are still present. My assumption is that if during that time a GPS position was spoofed and, let’s say for example, providing a GPS position that was seen to be traveling west when magnetic heading information says it’s traveling east. Then, because the AHRS doesn’t know which information is the correct one, it starts to reset.
The possible solution I was thinking about is temporarily disconnecting the GPS through the G1000 settings, before the GPS starts to spoof.

Lin
Italy
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message