Banner
Welcome to our forums

GA Headset to PC (USB or 3.5mm) adapter

Anyone knows if there are cheaper alternatives for something like this:
Pilot PC Headset Adapter PA96

But perhaps better with USB like this:
FSX Solo-GA

So I don’t need a 9V battery.

Can I solder myself something similar? Or is that difficult with voltage regulation? I’m assuming it needs power because of the 9V battery in the 1st example?

Last Edited by 0fficer at 13 May 14:34
Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar

That’s a good idea, I could try that. I was wondering if I needed some power appliance like in the first example to supply the headset(?) with power?

Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar

I don’t know, you can try without. Worse case scenario the audio will be lower than usual.

ESME, ESMS
LFLY, LFHI, France

I found one second hand (the Flight Sound X 3.0). Works really well. Thanks for the tip.

Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar

I’m currently searching for a way to connect my Bose A20 to my PC, to make my experience in Flight Simulator more authentic.

I ran across this adapter:

https://www.eisenschmidt.aero/zubehoer/pilotenzubehoer/headsets-zubehoer/adapter-kabel-buchsen/1477/headset-konverter-pj-stecker-auf-pc-klinke-pa-96-pc

What I don’t like about it is that it requires a 9V battery. PC headset slots already supply energy, so why is this necessary? Anyone know of a way to connect an aviation headset to the PC without using additional batteries?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

A standard 3.5mm headset output socket doesn’t output any “power”. It is just the audio signal. A 3.5mm mike socket is a different thing; there is a very low power supply available there for powering the mike.

As to why one can’t power an A20 directly from a headset socket, is a good question. Perhaps the A20 needs more power, or perhaps the battery is present to provide power for the headset mike. I have done tons of audio design but not played around with aviation headsets

I’ve had a dig around and can’t find any data on the headset (speaker) impedance. There is a “low imedance” version being advertised but that refers to the mike, and is not going to work in most GA installations. Maybe @wigglyamp knows.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Have you tried a BT connection – no idea if it would work.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Not surprising you can’t find data on the speaker impedance – Bose famously do not publish specifications for any of their products.

It is tied in with the “this is better in ways that you cannot measure” philosophy of the company and its founder.

EGLM & EGTN
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message