Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GA to the Lofoten islands ...and then some!

RobertL18C wrote:

he relevant RNP approach wasn’t in the, current!, database

Is there a thing between Norway and Jeppesen?

In my case, I could have simply continued VFR since wx was excellent, in yours not so easy…

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

Back in 2008, a squadron or 2 of F-16’s seemed to be based at ENBO and we watched them fly in pairs frequently for a couple of days

I worked as a mechanic on the 334 squadron at Bodø. At that time there were two squadrons there: 331 and 334, both with F-16. Ørland and Rygge was the base of one squadron each of F-5s (332 and 336 if I remember correctly). This was in the mid 80s. The last (operational) flight of the F-16 was in 2021 or 2022. The F-35s have been coming steadily, filling up the 332 squadron at Ørlandet. This summer they become (over) filled, and in this August the 332 squadron split in two as 331 and 332.

The plan is (or at least was) to have Ørland and Evenes as the main basis. Evenes as a smaller “wing” kind of thing, but on high alert. Evenes is also the home for the 333 squadron (P-8A Poseidon, taking over for the Orion aircraft at Andøya). Then Ukraine happened. What actually will happen now, I don’t know. Probably not that much different from the original plans, but Andøya seems to be saved from certain death only a year ago, re-surected and will live on, partly as a permanent test facility for NASAMS, which has grown hugely popular lately and lots of other missile/rocket stuff. Civilian and military.

Bodø as we know it is soon gone though. They started this spring with the works. Soon it will look like this:

You can see the old (existing) runway in the middle of the picture. It will become a new street filled up with malls and stuff for people to waste lots of money on junk, I’m sure It looks nice IMO. Still walking distance from the city.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Antonio wrote:

For me, I have been an aviation nut all my life, and private flying has been a goal in itself. I however aim to show it can also be useful to society in general and in particular to people around me with other goals . I would like to think I partially achieved it, and this trip was an example.

You are a good man Antonio. Private flying has been a goal in itself for mee too, even though I don’t cruise across continents like you do I think you achieved this just fine Last weekend I ended up taking the airport director at ENVA on a little flight in the Alphatrainer. She truly enjoyed it, taking lots of pictures of “her” Velis Electro in flight. I’m sure the positive relationship we GA pilots have with Avinor was maintained and strengthened. I like to think this will be good for all GA pilots wherever they come from, and whatever they fly in. You are all welcome.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Bodø as we know it is soon gone though. They started this spring with the works. Soon it will look like this:

So there will be a landfill over the sea to make room for the new airport? Otherwise I can’t reconcile the picture with current geography.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

LeSving wrote:

Oh, so they move the whole airport onto the site of the former airbase and also change the whole harbour area e.t.c.? Wow, quite an ambitious project but also makes a lot of sense, looking at the obstacles south of the airport and the use of land. Looks interesting anyway.

Airborne_Again wrote:

So there will be a landfill over the sea to make room for the new airport? Otherwise I can’t reconcile the picture with current geography.

If I get it right the whole airport will be moved to the West of the current runway onto the site of the former airbase. I’ve tried to take a pic of todays layout from a similar perspective than the model above.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 14 Sep 13:30
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

You can read all about the new airport here.

This picture perhaps explains it better:

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Wow! That is a massive project. What is the [business- or otherwise-] case?

Edit: I nswered my own question in the above web:

Avinor wrote:

This has been done to free-up areas close to the centre by the current airport for urban development.

In the alternative chosen, the airport is set to be relocated around 900 metres to the south of the current runway. This means that its distance from the city centre will increase, but Bodø Airport will remain close to the city.

Social mission
Avinor shall, through the development and establishment of a new airport in Bodø, facilitate the freeing-up of areas for Bodø Municipality’s urban development needs and contribute to strengthening the region’s opportunities for further growth.
The airport shall be a regional hub and meet the market needs for commercial routes, charters and freight in a way that contributes to values creation, business development and population growth.

I was not under the impression Bodo was in such a bad need urban development.

Last Edited by Antonio at 14 Sep 14:19
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Looking at the space they put the new airport in, it makes a lot of sense if you have the cash to do it.

The current airport is almost inside the city with lots of housing east of it and also obstacles on the approach.

Also the land of the former airbase needs to be redeveloped anyway. It’s not exactly something which is worth protecting or which can be redeveloped into something else with the airport between it and the city.

Moving the airport to it’s new location moves the approach over water and away from the living areas and of course it opens up a lot of space for new developments on the site of the old airport. Using the old runway as a road is not a new concept and quite clever too. (Same happened to man old airbases in the Pacific Rim and also in the US. Kobler AFB comes to mind on Saipan, which is now a residential area.)

Looks like a pretty good concept to me.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

if you have the cash

Yes that is the part I dont get: unless there is a bad need for the development (industrial, residential or otherwise) you will take for ever to get it back.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

LeSving wrote:

good for all GA pilots wherever they come from, and whatever they fly in. You are all welcome.

Thank you @LeSving, that kind of selfless work for GA is the kind of attitude we need.

Fortunately we have lots of people working in that direction and posting here. I will avoid naming names (’cos I will surely miss many) but there are people here providing free aviation advise, hosting open door events at their clubs, providing rides (to airport managers and many others) , taking the time to tell their experiences, running SAR patterns on the Adriatic, providing free transportation of medical staff during COVID and now during the Moroccan crisis (anyone thinking on something for Libia?) , running the forum, and the list goes on, and on and on…keep it coming!

Additionally, wherever I fly, I try to make sure GA is as small of a hassle as possible to those around and I try and preserve things as open and accessible as possible for those following (err… flying) after me. I don’t want to provide reason for anyone saying us GA’ers are a bunch of [insert your favorite expletive]. I accept there will be exceptions.

So, again , thankyou @LeSving and all the others.

Antonio
LESB, Spain
Sign in to add your message