Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Aera 760?

After reading (and contributing) to the ipad thread here, I wanted to ask if someone here is using a Garmin Aera 760.

As written in the ipad thread above, I have had 2 instances of ipad overheating. The first was before take-off (documented in the thread), the second after landing therefore less critical. I now have doubts about the dependability of my ipad. This, combined with poor readability in the sun and the fact that the ipad is somewhat too large for my cockpit, now has me considering going for an Aera 760 instead. Or maybe as a 2-device combination, Garmin on the dashboard and ipad in the seat pocket to use when needed e.g. to get NOTAMs, weather, approach charts etc.

For those of you who use the Aera 760, what do you think of it?

Thanks,
Etienne

Last Edited by etn at 10 Jul 09:25
etn
EDQN, Germany

I suspect the lack of response is because very few people use these larger dedicated “aviation” handhelds.

One pilot shop owner told me that way back he was selling one a day (at 1k-1.5k each) and when I last spoke to him, 2016 I think, it was down to one every few months.

This reflects the obvious fact that tablets do so much more. But they do it at a price: overheating, less than great software reliability, difficult to aircraft-power unless you get the right fixed mount (and if you aircraft-power them you definitely want a fixed mount with fans because any higher-end tablet gets really hot when being charged), tricky to interface to the aircraft intercom (“audio panel”), poor sunlight readability no matter what filter you stick on it, and I nearly forgot overheating

I have not used the 760 but my Aera 660 is utterly reliable. I have it wired for power, for GPWS/TAWS warnings to the PS7000 intercom AUX input, and it acts as an emergency “easy DCT box” GPS and a taxi aid – Garmin Safetaxi which is brilliant and which always works, unlike Foreflight on which I sometimes cannot get the airport diagram (clicking on the airport occassionally doesn’t work).

I also think the 760 is too big to yoke mount like my 660 is.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

etn wrote:

2-device combination, Garmin on the dashboard and ipad in the seat pocket to use when needed e.g. to get NOTAMs, weather, approach charts etc.

Personally, this is what I would go for, maybe longer term. The Aera would be a lot cheaper and quicker than a GTN650 though, which is a consideration.

I know a UK syndicate who bought an Aera 760, because the members couldn’t use the 430 in the panel. They just use it as a moving map (it is possible to connect it to a 430 W and higher).

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Peter,

Thanks for the thorough response! What are your annual subscription costs with the Garmin? (their model is very unclear and I have not yet fully understood it!) I assume you use a tablet as well? Does the Garmin subscription on the 660 allow to use the Garmin app on your tablet?

If I decide to go for a dedicated GPS, I think the 760 is probably the right size for me. I have a RAM mount on the top left of my panel therefore I can attach pretty much anything to it. The picture below shows the assembly. The picture somewhat deforms reality: from the left seat perspective, it is difficult to position the ipad where it does not block part of the instrument panel.

In the meantime, I’ll try to cover the ipad with a rag while on the ground to protect it from the sun. Contrarily to most Robins, “Emmie” has a glass canopy without any roof paint, therefore there’s no escaping the sun!

Thanks again,
Etienne

etn
EDQN, Germany

Capitaine wrote:

Personally, this is what I would go for, maybe longer term. The Aera would be a lot cheaper and quicker than a GTN650 though, which is a consideration.

Thank you. I had the panel rebuilt last year and I decided against a GTN (I was actually considering the equivalent Avidyne IFD540). At €20k it pays for many iPads/Aeras!!! I also do not fly IFR, therefore did not really need it. An external device is also easier to update without needing to rebuild the entire panel!

etn
EDQN, Germany

I buy one time updates for Safetaxi only. Can’t remember – 100 quid? Every 2 years or so.

The terrain database works for ever.

Just tried to access the Garmin update (to see pricing etc) and failed… so it will need to work for another year or two

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would try a tablet case with integrated fans, plugged with USB. Don’t remember the brand. If it doesn’t work, consider the Area.
Two devices means 2 power supplies, 2 databases, 2 WP typing etc…

LFOU, France

@etn your canopy, panel and iPad Mini mount configuration shown in post 04 is very close to mine, including the sun exposure and mount positioning to maintain view of the ASI. The only difference is that I have a vent in the windscreen blowing on the back of the mount, but while generally effective it’s not the answer to prevent overheating on the ground in worst case conditions. I’ve added a USB powered X-Naut fan-cooled case for mine, and will report back when I can on thermal performance up to 40C OAT.

A modular, external, replaceable GPS and ADS-B IN approach is best IMO for most VFR, allowing you to toss the whole thing periodically and start over. Also, multiple platform database updates is a pain I’ve tried hard to avoid myself (Foreflight makes them a monthly no-brainer, and I’m not interested in more hassle). I looked at the Aera and also iFly (for US use) and database hassle was a factor in not using them along with ADS-B receiver compatibility.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 11 Jul 20:09

@Silvaire my ipad is a 10" Air, not a Mini. Moving to a mini (while keeping the Air in a seat pocket as a backup + Notam, weather, approach chart device) would solve the size issue without requiring another subscription. Skydemon allows the use of 2 devices.
I too have a large vent just behind the ipad, which is perfect in flight. Except that the ipad blocks fresh air cooling the pilot :D

I’ll drop by at a pilot shop and try the Garmin. But so far I am not 100% convinced I want to go that route.
My first step will be low tech: I’ll tinker a curtain with a piece of white cloth attached to the back of the ipad, so as to protect it from the sun on the ground and open the curtain after (or immediately before) take off.

Last Edited by etn at 13 Jul 09:49
etn
EDQN, Germany

There was an interesting piece on the television last week. Why arabs wear dark clothing when working in the desert. It came to the conclusion that wearing white might reflect direct sunlight, any heat on the body side is also reflected, therefore the heat is not dissipated. Whereas dark clothing although absorbing direct heat it also allows it to absorb it from both sides.
It went on to explain that it is for a similar reason that people who live in hot countries tend to drink hot tea rather than cold drinks.
Whether this is valid or not, I don’t know but maybe you should try the effects of a black curtain as well as a white one.

France
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message