Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Bundles V Single Updates on Portable GPS Units

I am navigating the mess of:

MyGarmin
FlyGarmin
WebUpdater

with a view to updating the GPS495 and Aera 660 we have. The bundle option for the 495 is £235 and the single updates are much less. I think for a device like this that the Navigation Data for £40 and Obstacles for £40 are all I need for a reference GPS. What way do other folks do it? I can use the 495 so easily, and it’s never let me down. What updates do you buy?

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

The bundle is a one-year subscription, while the 40 £ are for a single update. It seems to me that just the one-year subscription for navigation data and obstacles is more than the one-year bundle. You might argue that you won’t update obstacles on every cycle, but e.g. only once a year, and then, yes, you’d save some money.

ELLX

I update my Aera 660 about once a year, for the Safetaxi database.

The rest doesn’t matter; the airspace map for example is virtually useless because it doesn’t merge identical-class airspace vertically, etc, and the declutter options are rubbish. The TAWS function doesn’t need updating unless you travel back or forth in time by a few million years

My previous Garmin 496 got updated once every 5-10 years but since the only useful feature was TAWS, that didn’t matter.

If you use these as a navigation backup, perhaps an annual update is a good idea.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message