Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin G500 Range Ring

I have just had my G500 updated with the following …..

GSU 75(B) Installation Approval and GDU 620 software version 7.12 update for Part 23 AML STC SA02153LA-D

On the R/H screen a Range Ring is now featured and its something that I can do without.

Has anyone any idea how to remove it ?

There is nothing on any of the menu pages that relate to it just to an Enhanced Range Ring which puts another circle inside thae one that I am trying to remove.

Thanks

Comparing two versions of the manual, the option to remove it completely seems to have been removed indeed.

ELLX

lionel wrote:

the option to remove it completely seems to have been removed indeed.

Thats also the opinion of the engineer who did the update ….. this range ring is a totally useless piece of information …. thats unless you are a pilot who is lost most of the time.quatrelle wrote:

GSU 75(B) Installation Approval and GDU 620 software version 7.12 update for Part 23 AML STC SA02153LA-D

If you have a Garmin G500 please take my advice …… dont under any circumstances install this update as it spoils what was before a great pce of kit.

I did the upgrade, and I’m quite happy with it. It shows more clearly whether I’m in GNSS mode for my AP.

If I recall correctly, the “selected altitude range indication” is a new feature, as is European VRP points on the MFD map and pilot-selectable switch between Jeppesen charts and AIP charts (but not in flight, requires a restart).

I don’t understand the reason for removing the option to remove the range ring; if the pilot doesn’t want it, what’s the point in forcing it on hir?

I do use the range ring, e.g. to eyeball my distance to destination, so that I can plan my descent accordingly. (The GNS can do TOD calculation, but it does it along the planned route along the STAR; I prefer to ask for descent in time for the case I get vectors. Plus the advice disappears if/when I change the flightplan in certain ways.)

ELLX
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message