Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin introduce low cost inline module for ADS-B out US market

Announced last week in time for OshKosh, this looks like quite an innovative and dare I say low cost (for Garmin) solution to retrofit ADS-B out. The module fits in between any existing transponder and antenna, just add a GPS antenna and power supply. No need to replace or update the existing transponder, this inline module adds the ADS-B signal. This is ADS-B out only, squitting your GPS position to anyone and everyone in the vicinity.

For this first product, it’s 978MHz only so not any use outside the US, where the rest of the world uses 1078MHz.

Pricing is quite reasonable – $1795 list price. I’ve heard some rough estimates of $200 for a licenced A&P mechanic to fit it and sign it off, which seems pretty low to me. The FAA provides a $500 dollar rebate if done before September 2018. So if true, the total cost is around $1500 all up. Much more reasonable than the $10K or more I’ve heard from some.

Separately an ADS-B portable receiver can be had from $100 or so, such as the Stratux opensource unit.

Is there any chance this might be adapted and marketed outside the US or will we be stuck with completely replacing or upgrading existing transponders?

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

where the rest of the world uses 1078MHz

Being pedantic, 1090MHz

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

DavidC wrote:

Pricing is quite reasonable – $1795 list price.

A complete TRIG Transponder sells for $1989 so I would not call this a very attractive offering, especially since the installation is probably more involved than a transponder replacement.

Products like this being introduced as time goes on are the reason why ‘almost nobody’ in the US is hurrying to become ADS-B Out compliant.

The GDL 82 spec would work for me, even if the legal requirement is incorrectly described by Garmin – only a fraction of US controlled airspace will require ADS-B Out, no different than for Mode C now. However, my plan is to wait until after the 2020 deadline, make the best choice and install it then. I’ve already abandoned the idea of receiving ADS-B In through a certified transponder as the inexpensive and uninstalled options for receiving that data increase. In the meantime after Jan 1 2020, I’ll likely fly my other non-electrical exempted aircraft while I get the situation sorted out. It was fun the other day to have a contract tower controller on ground frequency ask me (and I quote ) “is your transponder just not working or something?” to which I replied “waivered” and got no reply because I don’t think he understood. At my Class D airspace home base they seem to enjoy finding me on primary radar.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 01 Aug 17:47
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message