Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Glideslope ends about 200' below the runway

I would suggest connecting the IFR4000 into the cable directly, and testing the ILS receiver over the full specified range. There should be a spec.

BTW that old piece of gear worked only when kicked

I had a not-unrelated bit of fun here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Do you have one or two radio’s with glideslope? If two, please try using both, and see if they agree.
I agree with @Dave that their seems to be a problem with the 90/150 Hz section or their amplifiers.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

((Every SR22, no matter if “Sixpack”, Avidyne Entegra, R9 or Perspective version has 2 ILS receivers))

@Flyer59 Good point. Wonder if both where tried and the problem was on a single unit, or on both.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Or you could use a handheld radio which does ILS – see the video at the end of that thread I linked to.

However that would prove only that the ILS itself was OK, which probably doesn’t need proving…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Then handheld radio would not use the same RF path, therefore would not be the best solution.

If the problem occurs in the RF part, the error would be the same on both units, if only one unit is wrong, their must be something wrong in the receiver or indicator

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

As I’m neither an electronics engineer nor an avionics guy – I work with software and people – I may be getting on slippery ground here…

Unlike a two GNS430 or more conventional setup the R9 is an integrated flightdeck. That means there aren’t many units. It’s basically the left and right IFD (the screens with stuff behind them), the keyboard and two ADAHRS. The stuff behind the two screens (IFDs) is blades that can be replaced individually. One of those blades is a COM/NAV unit and it does exist two times – one for each IFD. Both IFDs are connected via Ethernet and functionality switches over when one unit has an issue. They also monitor each other.

From past observation from the sidelines my feeling is that avionics shops cannot really do much in the case of an integrated system. They can upload new software (almost everything is now software) and swap out these blades I just mentioned. Other than that it’s cabling and other mechanical work. If it turns out one of the blades is a suspect, then Avidyne sends out a replacement and takes in the other one. According to the logbook this has happened a few times over the past 4 years the R9 has been in my new aircraft.

I’m in touch with Avidyne and will certainly report back what the outcome of this is going to be.

I should also state that I’m not unhappy at the moment. I was highly alerted by the experience made in the UK with two ILS there but the experience from yesterday calmed me down. I don’t want to trust the whole system just yet until I’ve flown a few more ILS and I won’t let the AP take me down to 200’ in IMC either.

Last Edited by Stephan_Schwab at 08 Apr 08:15
Frequent travels around Europe

One of those blades is a COM/NAV unit and it does exist two times – one for each IFD.

That’s the Two Navcoms. What’s nice about R9 is that you have two complete systems, left and right, both with their own ADAHRS. Too bad you didn’t try the other (I guess that would be VLOC2) in England! But you can still do that here.

28 Posts
Sign in to add your message