Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS question - replacing a Trimble 2000

I would advise you to stick with the more main stream units. You will find service on the older units to be difficult if not impossible. Database support will also be an issue as well as will finding a compatible database programmer. Also support for ARINC 429 is often not available in the older units. Resale value is zero. Upgrade to IFR is a new installation or getting a field approval. I would suggest a used GNS430, non WAAS and installed with an interface to your Sandel and Autopilot as a VFR installation. You will regret installing even older and less capable equipment, even if you never obtain your instrument rating. For used equipment, a major cost is in the installation, and difference in the price of the equipment.doesn’t change the overall total cost as much as you might think.

KUZA, United States

Hello,

maybeJesse has an answer for me or anyone else
I can get a Apollo GX50 with current database
What is the situation on paperwork for this GPS in an EASA reg plane for the installation?

Thanks

fly2000

I wouldn’t recommend going that route. This unit is discontinued for over 15 years. Some parts, such as displays are no longer available for these units. It is from the same era as your current Trimble 2000.

Depending on which type of aircraft and other equipment you might get away with CS-STAN, else you would be looking into a minor change.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Peter_Paul wrote:

Hello,
maybeJesse has an answer for me or anyone else
I can get a Apollo GX50 with current database
What is the situation on paperwork for this GPS in an EASA reg plane for the installation?
Thanks

Hi Peter-Paul,

pls check your PM, I have sent you one.

Placido

LSZH

so I finaly found a nice priced 430
thanks placido!!! a other great result for me in this forum thanks peter

now in the hunt for a garmin 430 non waas tray and backplate so if anyone can help me on this one pls let me know thanks

fly2000

was and non-waas tray and backplate are identical!

Peter Paul,

you’re most welcome, it’s a win-win. I don’t have to ship it all the way to the USA for a trade-in and you can pick it up almost round the corner of where you live. Very nice co-incidence. If you can’t find the installation kit just let me know and I will direct you to the shop that will sell them.

LSZH

@Flyer59 12-Dec-15 10:32 #11
Flyer59 why are you recommending a W box and LPV approaches to a VFR pilot?
“Yes, that’s what I recommend. First because with the other good avionics he has he would maybe regret soon not having that capability. Also I see no problem for a VFR pilot to learn these procedures. That does not imply he should a) do illegal flights or b) fly in IMC without beeing able to do so. But it’s a good to have, especially when the price difference is not big.”

As a VFR pilot I agree with Flyer59 in this case. I’ll admit I’ve had a fair amount of IFR training, but I agree that learning these approaches is not such a big deal (not nearly the same as actually getting the rating). Also, if he ever needs to sell the airplane a 430W will make it more attractive & the OP might want to pursue instrument training at some point. This argument applies if the OP is looking at a 430 (in other words, better to bump up to a 430W). However, there probably are cheaper alternatives given what he wants. OP has a serious AP installed. Seems a pity not to make maximum use of it.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 16 Jan 08:50
Tököl LHTL
98 Posts
Sign in to add your message